DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2016 ram 1500 sport,with 5.7 .It started to tap and knock real bad no check engine no miss , i had it towed to the dealer they say its the lifters and the cam is bad ,they are replacing them under warranty ,but it only has 52000 miles ,

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
not cam failulre, it;s lifter or roller failure. Main suspect is low oil pressure when idling.
and, YES< DAMN NEAR EVERYONE IS GOING TO OR HAS ALREADY HAD THIS ISSUE.

Sad really.DOubt I ever buy another CHrylser product and have bought or 9 new ones over teh last few decades. Might get oen that is not a hemi but doubt that too.

SImply do not want a FIat or Puegeot

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have a 2016 ram 1500 sport,with 5.7 .It started to tap and knock real bad no check engine no miss , i had it towed to the dealer they say its the lifters and the cam is bad ,they are replacing them under warranty ,but it only has 52000 miles ,
It is very sad to say, but it has been a problem for Dodge. This is why they are covering it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bumped this thread on it.

I am just visiting from the Jeep forums. My Hemi is getting head removed now for failed lifter. Been reading about this across all models with a Hemi.
The thread in the link is long and depressing.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Since this is a known problem, will they fix it for free if you’re out of warranty or charge for out of warranty vehicles?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Be realistic Nevada Mike, If someone is more than a couple days or miles beyond the stated warranty not much chance of getting a free fix from FAC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be realistic Nevada Mike, If someone is more than a couple days or miles beyond the stated warranty not much chance of getting a free fix from FAC.
Yeah. In that thread on link is a lot of folks left holding the bag with far lower miles than me.
As of now, my dealer states it will be covered under lifetime drivetrain warranty that came with vechicle. At 150K that is a load off my mind.
I seriously thought the promise of that free lifetime coverage was all BS to sell the vechicle, but am grateful they intend to back it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I was grasping for a straw. I should have known better with FCA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
SImply do not want a FIat or Puegeot
As much as I dislike Fiat and hate PSA, or anything French, the HEMI has not much to do with any of this.
The Pentastar, Hemi's, 2.4, ... are all Chrysler engines and not available in Fiat's here. Only in Jeep's, Dodge's and RAM's. The 1.0 3 cyl Jeep offers here, the 2 cylinder Fiats, ... on the other hand won't be offered in the U.S.
The only Italian thing in the RAM was the 3.0 V6 diesel, which sucked because they don't know how to make diesels (or any engine tbh). Only the Germans and Volvo made good 4, 5, 6 or 8 cylinder diesels in Europe.

I'm afraid the PSA partnership is a move for Chrysler to come back to Europe. They brought Dodge (and RAM) back after losing the deal with Mercedes, and the RAM has been the no. 1 selling truck in western Europe since then... Dodge/RAM dealers are generally still seperated from Fiat/Alfa/Jeep/Abarth/Lancia dealers.

I love my RAM and I'm really thinking about getting a 5th gen. Love the HEMI, too. But I heard they stopped making them and just ordered a bunch of them that should last them 3 years, so I'm afraid you're just gonna have the same problems with a 5th gen (exhaust manifold bolts, lifters...), but there's no other way... I'm so stuck

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As much as I dislike Fiat and hate PSA, or anything French, the HEMI has not much to do with any of this.
The Pentastar, Hemi's, 2.4, ... are all Chrysler engines and not available in Fiat's here. Only in Jeep's, Dodge's and RAM's. The 1.0 3 cyl Jeep offers here, the 2 cylinder Fiats, ... on the other hand won't be offered in the U.S.
The only Italian thing in the RAM was the 3.0 V6 diesel, which sucked because they don't know how to make diesels (or any engine tbh). Only the Germans and Volvo made good 4, 5, 6 or 8 cylinder diesels in Europe.

I'm afraid the PSA partnership is a move for Chrysler to come back to Europe. They brought Dodge (and RAM) back after losing the deal with Mercedes, and the RAM has been the no. 1 selling truck in western Europe since then... Dodge/RAM dealers are generally still seperated from Fiat/Alfa/Jeep/Abarth/Lancia dealers.

I love my RAM and I'm really thinking about getting a 5th gen. Love the HEMI, too. But I heard they stopped making them and just ordered a bunch of them that should last them 3 years, so I'm afraid you're just gonna have the same problems with a 5th gen (exhaust manifold bolts, lifters...), but there's no other way... I'm so stuck
The V-8 and 8 speed transmission in my 4th gen is the same as in the 5th gens?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The V-8 and 8 speed transmission in my 4th gen is the same as in the 5th gens?
Yes, they are. I think the transmission is even the same generation even though ZF made some newer ones.
Even though the throttle respone and exhaust note is (to me) very different in the 5th gens, it's the same 5.7 L V8 and tranny. Transmission even behaves pretty much identical like it did almost 7 years ago when it came out in the 2013's! :) it was very ahead of the game back then and is still a on-top-of-the-game combination today, if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yes, they are. I think the transmission is even the same generation even though ZF made some newer ones.
Even though the throttle respone and exhaust note is (to me) very different in the 5th gens, it's the same 5.7 L V8 and tranny. Transmission even behaves pretty much identical like it did almost 7 years ago when it came out in the 2013's! :) it was very ahead of the game back then and is still a on-top-of-the-game combination today, if you ask me.
I had someone with a 5th gen tell me it pulls a trailer better then the two previous 4th gene he had. I’m thinking that his old trucks had 3.21 gears and the new one probably has 3.92’s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have heard of these cam/lifter issues and it's too bad. I have been really lucky. I've had 2) 2004 Rams, a 2013 Express, a 2016 Limited and have had a '19 Limited for a year this week. I have loved them all and haven't had any mechanical issues. My '19 is by far the best towing/hauling half ton I have EVER had. I had 2 '14's because one was totalled and the 2nd one had the engine transplanted into a (I believe a '79) Warlock. It was pulled from the frame with 314,000 miles. Never touched internally. I hope to have the same luck with my '19. Sorry for those that have had issues, I'm sure I've been lucky.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did they ever fix the design of the MDS low-oil-flow lifters? Or did they just leave it fester as the engine went out of production? I have a 2017 HEMI 6.4L.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same year and motor, no sign yet at 55k of any problems but have read of others having the lifter failure issue. After 60k only an extended warranty will cover it unless you have the lifetime warranty. Mine is under warranty until 113k then I plan on getting another extended if I do not trade up to a 2500. Keep us posted on how ling it takes to fix the problem!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me!
I Replaced my engine at 72,000 miles
Lead Tech Head Mechanic Santa Fe, New Mexico Lithia Dodge Dealership said they found "metal shavings all thru-out inside the engine" it cost me $1,200 to get it oughta there (shop parts) after 8 weeks sitting 6' ft up in air in Bay 1
Got 89,000 (as we speak) miles put (17,000 so far on new engine in past 10 months)
and now "service air bag" message has been coming on for last 10,000 miles off/on
I never shoulda-woulda-coulda bought this junk in retrospect since it has cost me >$3,000 on un-needed stuff
and has had 10 Outstanding Recalls supposedly re-serviced on this hunk of junk making my 2014 Ram Crewcab 5.7L Hemi 2500HD 4x4 the "most UNRELIABLE" vehicle on the road!
Woo hoo and Boo hoo!
Can I get a Whoop woop?
It's gotta heckuva curse hex put on it fer sizzlin sure...making me an idiot for thinking I gotta good deal buying this prima donna rolling down the highway at 10 MPH high maintenance nothing so I should've held onto my Ford F150 2003 Lariat and never switched trucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lifters are hydronic and love fresh plentiful lubrication. What oil do you use and how often do you change it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts