DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 4.7 RAM 6 months ago good price couldn't pass it up no problems the steering wheel was tilted to the right just a little and pull slightly to the right a problem that I didn't see major as I've had that problem on many vehicles tires are wearing evenly no feather edging no knots or bumps or cords but the other day it started ticking I assumed my wheel bearing so I just ordered one off Amazon and planned on fixing it this weekend I get out there Thursday evening get it jacked up will pulled off on the drivers side where it was coming from wheel bearings fine so I moved to the passenger side same thing Wheelbearing is fine go back to the driver side check the brake system everything turns out fine passenger same thing so then I moved to the drive shaft u joints look fine no excessive buildup i.e. mud so I move to the rear end after a thorough inspection I see nothing wrong exhausted, pissed, and dumbfounded I go and sit down on my driver side front tire scratching my head look down the 6 ounce weight on the inside of the rim was loose so it was traveling about an inch either way hitting another weight so I reach down slid the weight until it hit the other one ah ha lightbulb moment it was the ticking noise i had been hearing so in my head I assumed it was throwing my balance off causing it to pull and vibrate so I take the weight off bend it reinstall it put all 4 tires wheels back on take it for a test drive excited that it cost me no money except the ticking is gone but I have still figured out why is pulling vibrating so I brought it back home took driver side tire put it on passenger side same issue took driver side rotor put it on passenger side and vice versa with the passenger same issue took rear tires put on front, front on back same problem still wants to pull to the right with a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I spent all day Friday with it up on 3 foot jack stands completely degreased power washed and went over the entire chassis from the front ball joints to the rear bolt on the leaf springs with a flashlight and sometimes a magnifying glass checking for any imperfections bends cracks loose bolts I've checked ball joints torsion bar steering stabalizerI've taken my rotors in to O'Reilly's and had them check to make sure they're not warped not sure what to check next any help would be greatly appreciated I've done everything short of replacing the front end.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would have the tire with the loose weight balanced and the alignment checked. It will pull to the right if the alignment is off before any tire wear is noticeable.

I had a new set of tires put on my 2005 GMC 2500HD and the new kid at Discount Tire forgot to pull the old weights off the inside of the rims. I thought something was strange when I saw all the weights on the outside of the wheels and checked out the inside of the rims. Bingo, the old weights were still there along with new weights.

Gave the shop manager crap about it. They said they were in a hurry and didn't check his work as they should have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts