DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my truck has had the head lights converted to serve our right hand drive roads even though the truck is left hand drive. Does anybody know if this was done manually or is there a switch somewhere that changes them as I'm off on holiday to Europe with the truck and don't want to, unless I have to, use the sticky beam converters. I have bought them but hope that there is a switch somewhere. Regards Craig

·
Registered
771 Posts
Why would headlights be "Converted"....whatever that means.... for a left-drive road or a right-drive road? Headlights point straight ahead and light the lane you're in, at least that's how it's done here in 'merica. No idea what the problem is here. I'm reading the internet on "dazzling" on-coming drivers. How would your headlights "dazzle" someone any differently whether you're driving on the left or driving on the right? No idea what a "dipped beam" is either.

Do UK vehicles have headlights that are not both pointed directly forward? Seems kind of odd to me.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would headlights be "Converted"....whatever that means.... for a left-drive road or a right-drive road? Headlights point straight ahead and light the lane you're in, at least that's how it's done here in 'merica. No idea what the problem is here. I'm reading the internet on "dazzling" on-coming drivers. How would your headlights "dazzle" someone any differently whether you're driving on the left or driving on the right? No idea what a "dipped beam" is either.

Do UK vehicles have headlights that are not both pointed directly forward? Seems kind of odd to me.

Ok maybe my truck has not been converted then. Not sure how I'm going to find out

·
Registered
937 Posts
If your Ram has projector headlights they are only adjusted up and down, therefore wouldn't be converted. If your Ram has the Quad reflector style headlights then they would have been aimed or converted accordingly. There is no single button to press to change them for left/right hand drive, you will need to use your sticky converter or simply re-aim your lights using the adjustment screws through the top of the fender.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your Ram has projector headlights they are only adjusted up and down, therefore wouldn't be converted. If your Ram has the Quad reflector style headlights then they would have been aimed or converted accordingly. There is no single button to press to change them for left/right hand drive, you will need to use your sticky converter or simply re-aim your lights using the adjustment screws through the top of the fender.

How do I know if I have projector head lights or Quad reflector lights?:Wow1:

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
projectors look something like this

Halogens come in 2 types

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes, that means no sticky converters. The projector headlights are only adjustable up/down and have a defined cut-off line, they can not be adjusted left/right to highlight traffic signs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I still don't get the "headlight adjustment" standard in UK. WE drive on the right, they drive on the left. Our road signs are on the right. Their road signs are on the left. Our headlights point straight ahead, and can light all the road signs on the right. If we put our cars on their roads, it would light their left side road signs the same as our right side road signs, since our headlights are aligned and point straight forward, but the beam spread lights the sides.

So, again, I ask.....how are the headlights on UK cars different and why? Is this just some stupid British thing where they think they're doing something better, but they're really just wasting their time?

·
Registered
771 Posts
This explains the difference between European & North American headlight standards

Mostly it involves where the road signs are posted, over there the signs are on the left, ours are on the right

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/headlights-point-right-in-europe/
I just read the info at that link. Asymetrical headlight beams? That's about the stupidest nanny-state nonsense I ever read. The fact that you have to "convert" them lest you "dazzle" oncoming drivers is proof. It's no wonder that island is messed up. They don't even speak English correctly. It's friggin AL-U-MIN-UM.......not Aluminium.....

·
Registered
937 Posts
Non-projector headlights don't have a cut-off line and the proper adjustment is different than projectors. Projectors headlights cut-off line should be 2-3 inches lower than the center of the headlights at 25 feet. Reflector style headlights need to be adjusted so that the driver side headight main focal point is 2-3 inches lower than ceter at 25 feet but also should be 2 inches inside center at 25 feet. The passenger side headlight is adjusted to be even or 1 inch higher than center at 25 feet and 1 inch outside of center at 25 feet in order to illuminate traffic signs. This is how reflector style lights are set even in North America.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Coming from the UK I can tell you that headlights are biased towards the kerbside in the UK and off course the UK drives on the other side of the road. I can remember having to put stickers on the headlights to drive in Europe. Not sure if its still the case but it did used to be.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Coming from the UK I can tell you that headlights are biased towards the kerbside in the UK and off course the UK drives on the other side of the road. I can remember having to put stickers on the headlights to drive in Europe. Not sure if its still the case but it did used to be.
I still can't comprehend the purpose of biasing headlights to the side of the road. Are the signs different in some way (higher, lower, less reflective?).

Here is the U.S.A., headlights point straight down the road....to illuminate the road. We have no problem seeing road signs on the side.

I use my foglights to provide some additional peripheral illumination so I can see approaching deer on from the sides, but that's a different issue.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I still can't comprehend the purpose of biasing headlights to the side of the road. Are the signs different in some way (higher, lower, less reflective?).

Here is the U.S.A., headlights point straight down the road....to illuminate the road. We have no problem seeing road signs on the side.

I use my foglights to provide some additional peripheral illumination so I can see approaching deer on from the sides, but that's a different issue.
In North America lights are aimed the same as the UK, just for the opposite side of the road. Projector headlights are aimed straight down the road, this is true for North America and the UK. Reflector style headlights are aimed straight down the road for the driver side headlight, whether that be the left in North America or the right in the UK. The difference between projectors and reflectors comes in when aiming the passenger side headlight. As I stated earlier, the projector is simply aimed down the road, both driver and passenger side should have the cut-off line 2-3 inches lower than the center of the headlight at 25 feet. With the passenger reflector style light, it should be aimed so the the main focal point of the light beam is even or 1 inch higher than the center of the headlight at 25 feet. The main focal point of the passenger side light should also be aimed even or 1 inch outside of center in order to illuminate the shoulder and traffic signs.

This is not a new concept from the auto sector or specific to any country, manufacturers have been aiming reflector style headlights this way for decades. It is the standard for aiming reflector headlights and I had to do it numerous times. Lights used to have to be adjusted a lot when we had to change 1 piece halogen headlights instead of doing just a bulb swap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
So I guess when I replaced my old sealed-beam headlights, and pulled the truck up to the garage door, and aligned them on the door, I wasn't "aiming" them properly. Funny how I drove with incandescent and halogen sealed beam headlights for decades and never had any problem seeing road signs. Now,somehow one of these ultra modern headlights in the fancy reflector housing, needs to be "aimed" at the road side. Seems like somebody's way over-thought this. Which then begs the question...how do you "Aim" a headlight these days. Used to be you had phillips-head adjustments right on the housing. Easy-peasy. Probably need a laser-machine and 3 hours at the dealer now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
So I guess when I replaced my old sealed-beam headlights, and pulled the truck up to the garage door, and aligned them on the door, I wasn't "aiming" them properly. Funny how I drove with incandescent and halogen sealed beam headlights for decades and never had any problem seeing road signs. Now,somehow one of these ultra modern headlights in the fancy reflector housing, needs to be "aimed" at the road side. Seems like somebody's way over-thought this. Which then begs the question...how do you "Aim" a headlight these days. Used to be you had phillips-head adjustments right on the housing. Easy-peasy. Probably need a laser-machine and 3 hours at the dealer now.
Dealers may do it that way, I have no idea. Your method of the garage door is still what most people do including me. There are tonnes of videos describing your method and it works but all of those explain focal point being a few inches lower than center at 25 feet from the surface. And it is done a few inches lower than center for variables of your vehicle in different conditions, such as passengers or cargo which lower the back of a vehicle, making headlights rise and blind oncoming traffic. There is a guy in my area that bought his truck and then mounted an industrial welder in the back but never adjusted his headlights. His headlights are in my eyes every morning.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can understand the need to re-aim your headlights based on changes to the permanent load, or a change of suspension height, but this deal with having one headlight x inches lower at x distance, is just nonsense. Same with the Brits aiming one headlight at the road side. Makes no sense and seems to be some bureaucratic over-reach into vehicle specs, in the name of safety. They have to justify their phoney-baloney jobs....harumph.....harumph.....

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Dude, you aren't getting it.

UK headlamps and US headlamps are aimed exactly the same way, only mirror-images of each other.

Therefore, they need to be converted to the other in order to switch countries. The reflector beam pattern may appear straight, but I assure you it is not. It is that way in north america too. Ours shine to the right a little more, theirs to the left. Here is a good illustration:

^That is a US beam pattern

This is the UK pattern:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts