DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Alpine system with the sub. I'd like to upgrade to a aftermarket nav unit but I've read the sub won't work in my truck after. Is this correct? I was thinking of just buying a RER but from what i've seen the nav sucks in these units. I'd love peoples opinion on that if you have one. I'm a fairly good at wiring but I have little experience with car audio. What all will I need? Here's what I think I need.

Head unit
Steering wheel control adapter
wiring harness
faceplate adapter

Sound about right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was thinking of just buying a RER but from what i've seen the nav sucks in these units.
And what exactly is it that you've seen that would warrant a statement like the nav sucks?

I have the RER head unit and it is by far and away the best head unit i've ever owned, Aftermarket or otherwise. The Nav is Garmin based make by Garmin, maps provided by NavTeq. I've driven across country and back and the Nav is awesome to say the least, just like the rest of the head unit.

I owned a Garmin prior to my Ram and there was no difference in terms of the Nav itself from what I purchased aftermarket and what our Nav's are. If there is a "downside" it's that you can't use most of the nav functions or type in a place while in motion. But there is an allgig adapter or lockpicks that take care of that problem. I wouldn't take my head unit out and trade it for an aftermarket head unit if someone paid me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought only the 11's and 12's were Garmin .. maybe I'm better off to just get a rer?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought only the 11's and 12's were Garmin .. maybe I'm better off to just get a rer?
I have a 2010 RER and mine is definitely a Garmin. It's accurate as hell and got me across country all over the place and back without a hitch. A buddy of mine has a TOM TOM and that thing is a JOKE JOKE. Constantly mis-assessing streets, distances, etc.

Trust me, if there were ANY reason to of gotten rid of my H/U I would of done it but this head unit is better (and by a long shot) then ANYTHING you can buy aftermarket. Look at some of the 8 bill to 1k Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer head units with NAV and read the reviews thoroughly. They leave a LOT to be desired and NONE are all that great.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see them for about $1100 on ebay. I can get a Pioneer for $650 (boxing day sale) but then by the time I get an amp / sub whatever harness and adapters I need I'm going to be well above the factory unit then I have to figure installation too. (which i'm a bit scared of) Its funny I've changed engines / transmissions in vehicles but this stereo has me a bit spooked. I'd love to be rid of U connect though. What a waste of money that was. I don't even use it anymore. Too frustrating.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pac makes a harness that retains the sub now! see below

Part Number:
C2R-CHY4
Peripheral Part No: CHYAH08

Category: Radio Replacement

Product Overview
Radio Replacement Interface With Navigation Outputs for Select Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Vehicles

Compatibility Notes
  • Does not retain uConnect
  • In Premium Amplified Systems only two input channels can be used from the aftermarket radio, therefore there will be no fading capability of the aftermarket stereo.
  • Vehicles equipped with a factory Alpine system MUST use revision 1.1.4a or higher

Product Revision History Current Revision #: 1.1.6 Description: Fixes "No Signal" text on instrument cluster seen in 2012 vehicles
Revision #: 1.1.4a Description: Fixes issue with factory sub not turning on in Alpine system
Revision #: 1.1.4 Description: Adds factory VES retention and Voice Prompt & Phone SWC support
Revision #: 1.1.3 Description: Initial Release

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd love to be rid of U connect though. What a waste of money that was. I don't even use it anymore. Too frustrating
What's wrong with your Uconnect? Did you get it dealer installed? I've read there are some issues moreso with dealer installed Uconnect vs. Factory Installed.

The Uconnect in my truck came factory installed and it is everything I could want and then some. When I had my Charger it had a crappy factory head unit so I replaced it with a Pioneer head unit and the bluetooth kit. The bluetooth always had an "echo" like I was in a well...I could hear people OK but they didn't hear me that great. From what i've read that is typical with most aftermarket bluetooth setups.

With Uconnect it's an entirely different story. Not only do I hear people loud and clear as crystal, they also hear ME loud and clear as crystal. In fact, i've had at least 3 people over the last couple of years tell me they had no clue I was driving and using bluetooth when talking to them because they heard no noise and I sounded so clear. They only know i'm driving when they hear my engine rev or something similar and then they are like "where are you?" When I say i'm in my truck they don't believe me because of how clear I am.

I also use the voice activated function of Uconnect on some occasions and that works really good too. Once in a while it will get confused, but most of the time It pulls the name i'm asking to call, flawlessly. Uconnect is the shit man...so i'm sorry you had trouble with yours.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My uconnect works good sometimes but usually its just bad. It doesn't recognize my voice well and often reception is bad which is strange. I can say call home and it will reply "call 43?" Its random. It often doesn't recognize yes or no answers either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My uconnect works good sometimes but usually its just bad. It doesn't recognize my voice well and often reception is bad which is strange. I can say call home and it will reply "call 43?" Its random. It often doesn't recognize yes or no answers either
This has happened to me when I've tried to call a name that is similiar sounding to another name I have listed. But it works a lot of the time too.

I don't use the voice prompt function much. Mainly I use it when i'm driving and someone calls me and all I have to do is touch the uconnect button to answer the incoming call. If I have to call out while driving it's as easy as touching the address book on my phone and hitting the call button so voice activation isn't really essential which is why I rarely use it.

My main concern is clarity of the person talking to me, and my clarity to them..and on both ends it's clear as crystal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts