DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 13 ram 5.7 4x4, I am pretty sure I have broken manifold bolts on both sides, 88k miles, I am gonna insist dealer fix under warranty, but all this research has me itching to replace exhaust manifold with headers. I recently replaced ginormouse stock muffler with a 14" magnaflow, sound just right. Not too loud for conversation, but growls just a bit when I get on it.
just a few questions,
1. if I go with shorties, they will bold right up to factory exhaust, right?
2. is it silly to put headers on and leave factory exhaust , except for muffler replacement?
3. Intake, I put a [email protected] CAI on my 03 4.7 with cat back exhaust, sounds like a beast, but no real performance gains, seems like a bunch of hype to be honest. My stock hemi makes the 4.7 seam like a slug. the 03 sounds like a beast though, a little too loud on exhaust, the intake sounds pretty cool when hood is open, again, I am not sold on the [email protected] or anything like it. was looking at [email protected] or Vararam. anybody have some real knowledge here? I am leaning towards Vararam, but not convinced where the cold air or the ram air is coming from on my 13 ....from pics of vararam it looks like air is supposed to come in above radiator or possible in hood seam, which has weatherstripping on my hood. if its a true air grabber or ram, then air is forced in when driving, just cannot see where this air comes from. also, since its right on top of motor its probable not cooler air, but just more of it???? [email protected] is a sealed box with factory wheel well inlet and optional scoop, my problem with that is the scoop apprears to point straight down, would prefer it to go up above bumper to creat a ram effect.

So obviously I am a undecided and not totally convinced that either mod or both together will really show real performance improvements. shorties are supposed to give 15hp or so, cai is not really gonna increase hp until you hit some really high rpm. Come on guys I want ot be convinced, just need some encouragement to drop the money into my truck.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I've been wondering about headers too. Do you want to do shorties hoping you'll be able to avoid replacing the cats too or was there another reason? I did long tube headers on my car and loved it. I got better power and better gas mileage. It would be nice to hear from others who have the knowledge on this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really just being cheap I guess, the shorties are allot cheaper and bolt right to factory exhaust. I already got rid of stock muffler, truck sounds good with the magnaflow, really since I anticipate a beef with dealer about manifold bolts, I though maybe just ditch the manifold and put shorties on. could use some better gas mileage, power is fine as is, but more is always better, but really just cannot help myself,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts