DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody running aftermarket headers on there 04 hemi 1500 4x4? Running flowmaster super 44 si/so and no resonator now want a little more power and sound. Whats the diffrence form long and shorty headers??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Look at some pacesetters LT's

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Lt's provide better flow...more flow than those flowmasters can handle...i would seriously consider a straight thru muffler vs chambered, these hemis like to breathe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for more sound and a little more power by adding headers are shorty headers better or long tube? And what kinda muffler you mean? I had muffler and res. delete, ran like a wounded cow till the super 44

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lt's provide better flow...more flow than those flowmasters can handle...i would seriously consider a straight thru muffler vs chambered, these hemis like to breathe
What headers are you running Chefred? You are in CA and I am under the impression that long tube headers are not smog legal because they relocate cats. Is this true? I really wanna do LT headers but if they aren't emissions legal I don't know if its worth the headache.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Long tubes will flow better but will take more work to make them fit your exhaust. They will require a relocation of your cats. Shorty headers won't flow as good but definitely flow better than your stock manifold. They are also much cheaper than longtubes and require less installation difficulties. As for the muffler, check out magnaflows mufflers. They are a straight thru design unlike the flowmaster. The magnaflows will flow alot nicer than your flowmaster.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What headers are you running Chefred? You are in CA and I am under the impression that long tube headers are not smog legal because they relocate cats. Is this true? I really wanna do LT headers but if they aren't emissions legal I don't know if its worth the headache.
I think he runs pacesetters and yes he still passes smog inspections with BV heads no cats and a cam

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think he runs pacesetters and yes he still passes smog inspections with BV heads no cats and a cam
Yeah I just checked his mod list and they are pacesetters...just don't know if he removes them for smog testing like his BFI. If I'm gonna go through the hassles of installing headers I want to do long tubes. I'm sure they would pass the actual test but figured they would fail the visual inspection. You think your 6.6 will pass smog? I've been following your build and wanna say good job man! Your truck is sweet! :smileup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So are the shortys worth the money? Or should I invest in a CAI? I've also heard of people saying there aftermarket headers leak after a while. If I got the headers what kind of sound an performance gain would I get out of a set of headers (short headers)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
To me the sound was not so much louder but maybe a slightly deeper tone.
shorts/mids/lt's are all worth it over stock manifolds and the shorties are direct bolt on with no interference to the cats location (i assume anyway).

The major powerband increase for the shorties will prob be down low and mid rpms with better than stock results at the high rpm.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah I just checked his mod list and they are pacesetters...just don't know if he removes them for smog testing like his BFI. If I'm gonna go through the hassles of installing headers I want to do long tubes. I'm sure they would pass the actual test but figured they would fail the visual inspection. You think your 6.6 will pass smog? I've been following your build and wanna say good job man! Your truck is sweet! :smileup:
Idk i havent had my truck inspected in like 2 years and they dont do smog test were i live in texas its pretty much you pay for it and your lights, horns and brakes work your good. And thanks for the compliment it was a long and exspensive mod to say the least im just glad the truck is back on the road at this point since it was down for 7 months or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts