DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent saturday installing some JBA shorties on my baby. After many hours, sweat and blood. Its done. Or so I thought. There is a leak somewhere and I can't get back in there till next weekend. Its frustrating as hell to know that theres something wrong and I can't do a damn thing about it lol. As for the installation itself, really there were only a few problem bolts that were in ridiculous spots and thats what took many hours. Old headers came off easy enough. Didn't even soak them in penetrating oil.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Thanks for the info, did u take any pics while doing it? u think it leaking from the headers gaskets or where it mounts to the factory exhaust?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its at the gasket. I tightened everything then turned it on and the first time there were leaks at the exhaust but after the second time there wasnt. The leak noise is only noticeable at higher rpms and speed no odd noise at idle. Pics will have to wait till i readjust everything. I forgot completely about that

·
Registered
896 Posts
There ya go! Am installing Dynatech LT's this Thursday :smileup: can't wait to see the pics of your setup

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have heard of people recommending getting the factory exhaust gaskets when installing headers so that may be something to check out if u can''t get the leak out!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The factory exhaust gaskets are a multi layer metal construction and help create better seals.

Its a good idea to re torque header bolts after you drive it a few times and its been heat cycled.

Ive never ran shorties, but long tubes, especially stainless steel ones tend to make a tiking sound that can sound like a leak as well and its really jsut the valves opening/closing. The longer runnings of the headers just amplify the sound

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought some OEM gaskets because of the quality. The JBA gaskets just seemed.....subpar. Thats the noise I'm hearing is a tiking at acceleration. It sounds awful. Also about 30-40 miles later it may be coincidence or because I broke something during the install I popped 2 codes P0441 and V0195. Just got home so haven't looked into it yet but, I had to drive about 300 miles with the check engine light on and she didn't act funny. Infact I got fantastic mileage with cruise set at 84

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops its U0195 and its lost communication with SDARS the P0441 is
Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
what did you break during the install? Ive never see those two codes before...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts