DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound like a weird one. My transmission has been shifting weird lately. Downshifting for no reason. I had a code one day P0750. Transmission L/R solenoid. Cleared it and it never came back. But ever since that day weird things started to happen. This evening I started to notice that my headlights flicker and the transmission downshifts. I can be steady on the highway or coasting.
Anyone ever heard of this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
651 Posts
This is going to sound like a weird one. My transmission has been shifting weird lately. Downshifting for no reason. I had a code one day P0750. Transmission L/R solenoid. Cleared it and it never came back. But ever since that day weird things started to happen. This evening I started to notice that my headlights flicker and the transmission downshifts. I can be steady on the highway or coasting.
Anyone ever heard of this problem.

Thanks
So you still have the same transmission problem? L/R solenoid needs to be looked into. As far as the headlights..sperate issue, as the two are not related to each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you still have the same transmission problem? L/R solenoid needs to be looked into. As far as the headlights..sperate issue, as the two are not related to each other.
Yes I still have the issue. There aren't any codes. The transmission only shifts weird when the lights flicker. I am going to change the transmission solenoid pack only because it's paid for and would be extremely difficult to return. But I don't foresee that changing anything.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
651 Posts
Yes I still have the issue. There aren't any codes. The transmission only shifts weird when the lights flicker. I am going to change the transmission solenoid pack only because it's paid for and would be extremely difficult to return. But I don't foresee that changing anything.
The only possible explanation is that there's a voltage problem...either the battery, alternator or even the alternator pulley itself. But typically it wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only possible explanation is that there's a voltage problem...either the battery, alternator or even the alternator pulley itself. But typically it wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission.
I agree. Thats why its so puzzling. I plan to rebuild the alternator as a precaution. Last year I had a ground wire corrode on my starter so I'll be checking grounds as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update... it was the alternator. Brushes were worn out. When power was momentarily lost, pcm would trigger for more power. the only way to get it was to downshift for more rpm's. Changed out alternator and everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I thought my problem was solved but I was mistaken. I haven't had any codes after the initial trigger. No codes present on tcm or pcm. I had ordered the trans solenoid pack so i changed fluid, filters and solenoid pack. No change. Checked all connections and everything is as it should be. Lights flicker and it downshifts. What am I missing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i have an update. Truck was scheduled to go in to the dealership tomorrow and it really bothered me. I do all my own work cause I don't really trust anyone to do it right. Lol. So today, I gave it one last look. I used my multimeter to check my abs sensors and right front was off a bit. So I decided that a wheel bearing was in order. Picked one up and changed it. Took the old abs sensor out and there was exposed metal on the end. 40 mile drive confirmed that problems were gone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i have an update. Truck was scheduled to go in to the dealership tomorrow and it really bothered me. I do all my own work cause I don't really trust anyone to do it right. Lol. So today, I gave it one last look. I used my multimeter to check my abs sensors and right front was off a bit. So I decided that a wheel bearing was in order. Picked one up and changed it. Took the old abs sensor out and there was exposed metal on the end. 40 mile drive confirmed that problems were gone

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother I just wanted to thank you for posting this info I too have a 2013 ram that suddenly started shifting weird with the lights flickering as well and around the same time started noticing a funny rubbing noise from front driver side whenever i applied the brakes ive changed the trans filters and oil bled the brake system changed the pads replaced the battery all with no success but what you just described makes perfect sense and i cant wait to replace mine when i get outta work today I can now stop beating my head against the wall trying to solve this problem and i owe it all to you thank you again my friend....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts