DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without going HID what bulbs put out the most brightness out of the PROJECTOR headlights. I am looking to change the factory bulbs and hopefully get a further distance pattern. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Have you made sure they are aimed correctly? My 2012 & 2014, and current 2018 RAM 1500 "all" had the headlights aimed low. I would guess so when you towed they would be right. I would make sure of that first. As far as what lights, I would think PIAA would have bulbs like you want.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Follow oldhp`s advice first before you do anything. Post #2 ^^^^^^^

Don`t put HID bulbs in a projector headlight that was designed to use a halogen bulb. And whatever you do, DON`T put HID bulbs in your hi-beam halogen housings either. You`ll only end up with scattered lighting and glare, and blind on-coming traffic. Thats not good for other drivers on the road, and not safe for YOU either. These RAM trucks come with HIR halogen bulbs in the projectors. They`re as bright as they`re going to get. If you want better lighting, change the projectors out to a morimoto projector unit. Then you can run HID bulbs in it, as the moritmoto are designed around HID bulb use.

There is nothing more unsafe on the road when people MOD their freakin halogen headlight housings with HID bulbs... just pisses me off to no end getting blinded by some moron out there that wanted the brightest lights out on the highway. Selfish of people that do that, they dont care about the on-coming traffic so long as THEY can see good. Well, when someone hits you head on because you blinded them, i wish you well, IF, you live thru it.

Stay away from ANY blue tinted bulbs... ONLY install CLEAR lense bulbs!
ALL blue tint bulbs cancel the white out of the light. Then you`ll end up with LESS visual lighting ability.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Projector type headlights
https://www.sylvania-***************/apps/vlrg-us/Vlrg/#

If you had Halogen light units, Sylvania makes 4 different bulbs, each is brighter than the last
The Rams come with the Basic bulbs
The next steps up are the
XTRAvision
Silverstar
Silverstar Ultra

The other 2 bulbs are for people that want to show off, like at car shows
HID Attitude
ZEVO Hybrid

check the Official Vendors list on this RamforumZ

i don't have projectors, so i won't recommend any Brand

https://www.xenondepot.com/ram-1500-forward-lighting-s/260.htm
or
https://headlightrevolution.com/vehicles/dodge-ram/2009-2018-dodge-ram/
or
https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-led-headlight-for-2016-2018-dodge-ram-projector.html

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Don`t put HID bulbs in a projector headlight that was designed to use a halogen bulb. And whatever you do, DON`T put HID bulbs in your hi-beam halogen housings either. You`ll only end up with scattered lighting and glare, and blind on-coming traffic. Thats not good for other drivers on the road, and not safe for YOU either. These RAM trucks come with HIR halogen bulbs in the projectors. They`re as bright as they`re going to get. If you want better lighting, change the projectors out to a morimoto projector unit. Then you can run HID bulbs in it, as the moritmoto are designed around HID bulb use.

There is nothing more unsafe on the road when people MOD their freakin halogen headlight housings with HID bulbs... just pisses me off to no end getting blinded by some moron out there that wanted the brightest lights out on the highway. Selfish of people that do that, they dont care about the on-coming traffic so long as THEY can see good. Well, when someone hits you head on because you blinded them, i wish you well, IF, you live thru it.

THANK YOU

Its mesmerizing how many idiots are running around with based LEDs in housings that throw them into other drivers' eyes instead of at the road

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Thanks for the responses, so going with Sylvania's is not going to help any I assume..
NOPE not one bit... been there done that. My lighting ability actually went backwards for me. I ended up putting the OEM HIR bulbs back in. I would try re-aiming them first, before you do ANY bulb swaps. If you do bulb swapping, you`ll have to re-check your beam pattern each time because each brand of bulb will strike differently within the headlight housing. Just stay away from ANY bulb with ANY tinting, i guarantee you`ll regret it. And PLEASE, do NOT put HID bulbs in there, the life you save, may be your own.

THANK YOU

Its mesmerizing how many idiots are running around with based LEDs in housings that throw them into other drivers' eyes instead of at the road
All the surrounding towns have complained about this with people being blinded by stupid people putting HID and LED bulbs in their halogen equipped cars. So, with several letters going out to law enforcement, we are now seeing people having their cars impounded due to blinding others on the road causing accidents. Mostly seeing them go after the ricer punks that think its kool to blind people. So many of us just got tired of it. New laws are being written across the country just for these types of people. Illegal lighting CAN get people in an accident and even worse, sometimes killed. And for those that cant see that good at night to start with, its even worse for us/them. Some types of rare people will even turn around and go after these illegal bright light people... some have even got their headlights smashed out because they blinded the other person! I wouldn`t wanna be THAT person...lol... headlights can be pretty expensive to replace! But some of these kids out there, just dont care, no respect for others. Those are the ones i like seeing get their car impounded.

My advice, never drive faster than your headlights can shine :smileup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Also one more thing. This is to the guys/gals who level their trucks by lifting the front end.........................PLEASE re-aim your headlights. Some of these trucks are worse than meeting cars/trucks with the HID bulbs.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whats wrong hid on projector? These are mine and they are perfectly matched with Rebel OEM led

VIPMOTOZ 9005 HB3 Premium True 55W Xenon HID Conversion Kit - [Lifetime Replacement Warranty] - Exclusive Aqua Marine Canbus King Ballasts, 11000 Lumen, 6000K Diamond White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763Y6QTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0z0HBbWDMMQKP

Some install setup

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
The stock projectors have a built in cutoff line and that line doesn't change whether you use halogen, LED or HID. The problem of blinding other drivers is from putting LED's or HID's in oem refector style headlights. Headlight revolution has a youtube video showing the difference between bulbs and the LUX the bulbs produce in different Projector housing like the Ram and Tundra.

https://youtu.be/mZSNrvB_gEE

·
Registered
69 Posts
I made some adjustments right after i installed the HIDs. The usual marking as near as you can on garage door then 25ft away to make some adjustments. I never had blinding issue.

HR guys will empty your wallet. I cant imagine some folks buying stuff with them.

They actually remove my comment on youtube about backip light they are selling for $230 but its as actually $26 on ebay

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Whats wrong hid on projector? These are mine and they are perfectly matched with Rebel OEM led

VIPMOTOZ 9005 HB3 Premium True 55W Xenon HID Conversion Kit - [Lifetime Replacement Warranty] - Exclusive Aqua Marine Canbus King Ballasts, 11000 Lumen, 6000K Diamond White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763Y6QTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0z0HBbWDMMQKP

Some install setup
Nobody said anything about projector headlights being a bad thing, its the things people do with them when they dont know what they`re doing with them. When modded with the correct components, HID is hard to beat. The thing that pisses me off, is the idiots tossing HID bulbs into halogen housings that are NOT designed for HID bulbs.

If you have a halogen bulb that came in, designed for, a particular HALOGEN projector housings, it should stay totally with a halogen bulbs in it. People just dont understand the differences... a halogen bulb strikes the reflector differently than a HID bulb does. Put a halogen bulb side by side to a HID bulb... look where the bulb base is between the two bulbs, then look where the filaments are located at... they are NOT in the same location 99% of the time, so, therefore, its important to match the filament correctly to the reflector inside of the projector housing.

The stock projectors have a built in cutoff line and that line doesn't change whether you use halogen, LED or HID. The problem of blinding other drivers is from putting LED's or HID's in oem refector style headlights. Headlight revolution has a youtube video showing the difference between bulbs and the LUX the bulbs produce in different Projector housing like the Ram and Tundra.

https://youtu.be/mZSNrvB_gEE
Yep, your almost there with some knowledge, but theres ALOT more to it than you really think. Youtube is full of opinions. I dont put much faith or time into youtube videos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are your HID's DOT approved? I haven't checked them in a few years but in my days on patrol, none of them were. We didn't routinely impound vehicles for having them but a lot of "faulty equipment" tickets were written.
On another note - have you noticed how bright the DRL's are on some newer vehicles? The Fed's have begun incentivizing automobile lights so some manufacturers are really upgrading their stock offerings.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Are your HID's DOT approved? I haven't checked them in a few years but in my days on patrol, none of them were. We didn't routinely impound vehicles for having them but a lot of "faulty equipment" tickets were written.
On another note - have you noticed how bright the DRL's are on some newer vehicles? The Fed's have begun incentivizing automobile lights so some manufacturers are really upgrading their stock offerings.
Any USA OEM HID is DOT approved today. But ONLY of it came with the vehicle brand new from the factory with them.
Impounding in my area only happens to the ones that have dangerous lighting. It does happen, especially to the ricer punks that just keep doing it. People dont respect anything today, not even our law enforcement. So they get their balls busted until they learn to respect others on the highway. The trucks are worse at night because they sit alot higher than a car does.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Any USA OEM HID is DOT approved today. But ONLY of it came with the vehicle brand new from the factory with them.
Impounding in my area only happens to the ones that have dangerous lighting. It does happen, especially to the ricer punks that just keep doing it. People dont respect anything today, not even our law enforcement. So they get their balls busted until they learn to respect others on the highway. The trucks are worse at night because they sit alot higher than a car does.

Mmmm, windshield mount LED bars. Seen a couple guys lately with those on on the highway

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There are some of those LED bars around here too. If they are smart they won't turn them on while driving. Because you can't tell if the car 2 miles away is a cop. I guarantee he will stop you. Those LED light bars are for off road only.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If you do much night driving, you likely have noticed newer Ford pickups coming up from in back of you, their low beams look like high beams on most vehicles
I don't have the auto dimming mirrors & when one of those trucks is coming up, i have to look at the white Fog Line to keep the glare from blinding me for an extended period of time

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
There are some of those LED bars around here too. If they are smart they won't turn them on while driving. Because you can't tell if the car 2 miles away is a cop. I guarantee he will stop you. Those LED light bars are for off road only.
They seem much better about it here, but when I was in North Carolina it seemed like nobody got stopped for anything lighting related. About 1/4 of people drove around with no lights on at night, another 1/4 with their parking lights only, another 1/4 used high beams exclusively, and the rest of us used low beams like normal people.

Forward facing red, purple, blue, green, orange, ones that cycled through all of those colors were very common too, as were those Chevies with the dropped back end and lifted front that look like a dog with worms going down the road. Those guys really seemed to like the based LEDs in their halogen reflectors, but I guess it wouldn't matter if they used halogens because the lights don't adjust down far enough anyway :doh:
I suppose the police were too busy staking out random streets with DUI checkpoints to care about whether or not anybody's lighting :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mmmm, windshield mount LED bars. Seen a couple guys lately with those on on the highway
Yep, i see lots of them here where i live... dosen`t mean they are legal though.
They have to be covered up in my state, they are illegal for highway use (i believe it might be a federal law too [?])
If you get a 2nd ticket for uncovered aftermarket lights here, your illegal lights will be removed (the local LE are tired of the complaints)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts