DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the law on changing out the original to brighter for a 2017 Dodge Ram think I know the answer but just wanted to ask before doing it ?
I thought you couldn’t up grade you had to keep yo what came from the factory

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Probably dictated by your local/state laws. But as long as you aren't "one of those" that put HID or LED's in regular housings, who's gonna know you didn't buy it like that?

Reactions: JaimeZX

·
Registered
186 Posts
What’s the law on changing out the original to brighter for a 2017 Dodge Ram think I know the answer but just wanted to ask before doing it ?
No, you don't have to keep what came from the factory, that's just BS.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Depends on what you do to make them brighter. Change from halogen to LED bulbs, that's illegal. Add HIDS in place of the halogen bulbs, also illegal. Switching to a Silverstar or some other DOT apporved bulb is legal. Same goes for a complete DOT approved headlight. Most aftermarket headlights are techinically not legal though due to no approval. Whether you will get into trouble just depends on how they enforce in your area. I see offroad light bars and other types of offroad lights all the time which are completely illegal if not covered when on road. Might get away with it but they can and do write people up for them. Just depends on your area how well they enforce the laws. But it is pretty much federal DOT laws outlawing this stuff so it's the same nationwide.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sure is illegal if you are replacing the bulbs to be used on the street. There are no DOT approved LED or HID replacement bulbs available.

Here is one source.

Street Usage: Rules Of The Road

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
153 Posts
Hmm…. I’m sure the LED highbeams I have are probably not street legal but the HID’s I used to have in the lowbeams of my factory projector premium headlights I guess could have been not legal either…. At least one thing about it, the projectors are a lot easier on the oncoming traffic than ultra-bright LED’s or HID’s in the regular quad reflector headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm…. I’m sure the LED highbeams I have are probably not street legal but the HID’s I used to have in the lowbeams of my factory projector premium headlights I guess could have been not legal either…. At least one thing about it, the projectors are a lot easier on the oncoming traffic than ultra-bright LED’s or HID’s in the regular quad reflector headlights.

Thank you just wanted something brighter might just get more newer fog lights to help out

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Depends on what you do to make them brighter. Change from halogen to LED bulbs, that's illegal. Add HIDS in place of the halogen bulbs, also illegal. Switching to a Silverstar or some other DOT apporved bulb is legal. Same goes for a complete DOT approved headlight. Most aftermarket headlights are techinically not legal though due to no approval. Whether you will get into trouble just depends on how they enforce in your area. I see offroad light bars and other types of offroad lights all the time which are completely illegal if not covered when on road. Might get away with it but they can and do write people up for them. Just depends on your area how well they enforce the laws. But it is pretty much federal DOT laws outlawing this stuff so it's the same nationwide.
Thank you been looking at some brighter lights at auto zone or vip stores and the brighter one was something close to the silver ones you’ve said thank you for your response

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
153 Posts
Just would like to have something brighter on low beam so I don’t have to keep going from high to low every time I use but thank you for your response
So do you have the standard quad reflector headlights or do you have the premium projector headlights with the full length LED turn signal on the bottom?

If I were you and just didn’t wanna spend a whole lot, I would just go get two sets of the Sylvania silverstars or the silverstar ultras and call it a day. Depending on how often you drive at night, the ultras might only last you a shade over 12 months but in my opinion they’re about the best regular halogen bulb that you can buy as far as brightness and performance and you don’t even have to worry about them not being the DOT approved.

Up until just a few weeks ago, it’s been over 10 years from when I last used these lightbulbs and in my old Stratus that I put them in that I had a long time ago and since I worked at night, I got almost a year and a half out of them but who knows, they could’ve improved them to where they are the same brightness but will hopefully last a lot longer than that if you do a lot of driving at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your helpful information and resources will check with Maine state law on headlights

1 - 20 of 38 Posts