DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I swapped to SilverStar Ultras years ago, but I have the old single bulb lights.

these were supposed to be here today, but as my luck would have it, fedex is delayed..

Thank you for this

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
So do you have the standard quad reflector headlights or do you have the premium projector headlights with the full length LED turn signal on the bottom?

If I were you and just didn’t wanna spend a whole lot, I would just go get two sets of the Sylvania silverstars or the silverstar ultras and call it a day. Depending on how often you drive at night, the ultras might only last you a shade over 12 months but in my opinion they’re about the best regular halogen bulb that you can buy as far as brightness and performance and you don’t even have to worry about them not being the DOT approved.

Up until just a few weeks ago, it’s been over 10 years from when I last used these lightbulbs and in my old Stratus that I put them in that I had a long time ago and since I worked at night, I got almost a year and a half out of them but who knows, they could’ve improved them to where they are the same brightness but will hopefully last a lot longer than that if you do a lot of driving at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been running SS ultras for 9 years...
Automotive tire Asphalt Font Automotive exterior Bumper

Car Atmosphere Automotive lighting Light Vehicle

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I work nights, 1430-2300. When I gave it to the boy he was driving it to work, he works 3rd shift (2200-0600). Did you make sure you wiped the bulbs off before you put them in? Finger oils shorten the life of any halogen bulb.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
153 Posts
I work nights, 1430-2300. When I gave it to the boy he was driving it to work, he works 3rd shift (2200-0600). Did you make sure you wiped the bulbs off before you put them in? Finger oils shorten the life of any halogen bulb.
Yeah, I made sure they were nice and clean and I made sure not to touch the glass with anything as I always do but see, here’s the deal… this wasn’t on the back of the package I just bought a couple weeks ago to go in my fog lights but years ago, the last time I bought Silverstar ultras, on the back of the package where it shows you the performance comparison to their other lightbulbs, they had five whole bars or stars on the brightness part but they only had one bar or star for how long they last. The regular silver stars only had like four bars on the brightness scale but they had either two or three bars on the longevity scale so I don’t know, I guess you got a really good set of bulbs or they’re not the ultras. I’ve even talked to other people that use the Silverstar ultras that even for them, they don’t generally last as long as the Silverstars because they’re so bright.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well I have no reason to lie, but I went back through my ebay purchases....

Rectangle Font Magenta Logo Paper product

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I have no reason to lie, but I went back through my ebay purchases....

View attachment 139757

View attachment 139758
I have no reason to believe that you were and I wasn’t even saying that you were, I was just merely saying what I thought could’ve been the case but who knows, I don’t know if the style of bulb would make any difference or not but it could be because the ones you bought are H13 is why they have lasted so long.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah I dunno, I've gotten my moneys worth out of them for sure lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I dunno, I've gotten my moneys worth out of them for sure lol
Well, and this is purely coincidental and probably didn’t happen but since Amazon has had some sellers who have been known to not exactly send people what they thought they bought… like for example, I read a couple years ago where there were allegedly some people who were selling fake Yeti cups so who knows, I guess they could’ve swapped those Silverstar ultras out for the cheaper ones.

Again, I’m not saying that happened and I may be way off base but no matter what, I just still think it’s awful strange that you got a pair of the ultra Silverstars to last that long when I’ve never talked to anybody who’s had them last for any longer than two years.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Unopened and in the orange package, I'll be pulling them out this weekend to change headlight housings....I'll get a picture.

Reactions: corneileous

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unopened and in the orange package, I'll be pulling them out this weekend to change headlight housings....I'll get a picture.
I believe you, I just still think that’s strange.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
New lights came in today. The old ones were showing their age.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Wheel

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car

and here's one of my 9 year old SilverStars

Glasses Hat Font Funeral Fashion accessory

·
Registered
28 Posts
What’s the law on changing out the original to brighter for a 2017 Dodge Ram think I know the answer but just wanted to ask before doing it ?
I thought you couldn’t up grade you had to keep yo what came from the factory
Check your state laws. In Tennessee you can upgrade, the only caveat is a vague stipulation to not be a hindrance to other drivers causing an unsafe condition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have the projector type headlight housings, you can upgrade the bulbs with DOT approved bulbs. I ordered a set of these today - Philips 9012NGP. $30 a set. Mains should accept NHTSA regulations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure is illegal if you are replacing the bulbs to be used on the street. There are no DOT approved LED or HID replacement bulbs available.

Here is one source.

Street Usage: Rules Of The Road
It is not illegal in the state of Maryland. I bought after market LED bulbs for my head lights and fog lights and the dealer installed them. as long as they meet standard regulations there is no problem.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It is not illegal in the state of Maryland. I bought after market LED bulbs for my head lights and fog lights and the dealer installed them. as long as they meet standard regulations there is no problem.
There are no DOT approved LED aftermarket replacement bulbs sold so no matter what you think they are technically illegal for on road use in all 50 states, even in Maryland. A legit company that sells them will tell you that. There is a link earlier in the thread to one of many.
🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Finally drove the black truck to work Friday. While the SilverStars were working fine, I'm sure the lenses were causing the issues. Pretty big difference between the lights.

Hard to find a flat spot "25 feet from a wall" so I cheated and lined them up with the 2500's beam since they are basically the same height. Must be alright, no one flashed me Friday night on the way home from work.

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door

Got to playing around in AlfaOBD and turned on the quad light function...so now highs/lows work together.

Automotive tire Bumper Font Asphalt Window

Reactions: corneileous
21 - 38 of 38 Posts