DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
I've read that the 08+ heads are a completely different beast than the previous generation

They are, squished chambers to raise compression, dual plug ignition, better flow than their predecessors. Combined with the cams they used and the better intake manifold it was rated at 310hp. Only lasted for a few years because then a 3.6L V6 making 292-305hp came along lol. The nice thing is the 08 heads can be retrofitted with the stock cams, it's been done but last I heard of ti being done was quite a few years ago. The 4.7 was kind of a forgotten engine to begin with and that hasn't gotten any better over time after production stopped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want to know if the older style HO cams will fit in 08+ heads and if so is it worth it
I think you would have difficulty finding a set of HO cams today. If you are still interested in this swap, ask AIRRAM. He would know if that is possible, and even how close the newer cams are to the HO grind.
It used to be Crane Cams, I think, would regrind your OEM cams to match the lift and duration of the HO cams. But it would have the same lobe separation angle (LSA) as your OEM cams. Which would make it a bit easier to tune, as I was told.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you would have difficulty finding a set of HO cams today. If you are still interested in this swap, ask AIRRAM. He would know if that is possible, and even how close the newer cams are to the HO grind.
It used to be Crane Cams, I think, would regrind your OEM cams to match the lift and duration of the HO cams. But it would have the same lobe separation angle (LSA) as your OEM cams. Which would make it a bit easier to tune, as I was told.
I happened to score a set of complete HO heads, came and all for a few ours of electrical work last year. I saw the add on kijiji that he was selling then so we worked out a deal. I have big plans for a truck that currently lives in a field lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 03 4.7 in a dodge ram & I purchased some cams from a 09 4.7l dodge ram & since the junk wouldn't separate the two I had to buy the heads along with the cams, so I plain to use the 09 heads on my 03 rebuild. From what little info I found on this subject, I'll need to check piston to valve clearance do to the flat top pistons, custom exh y pipe & possibly reprogramming do to the duel plugs but not for sure on the programming part. Thank you for any information you are willing to give.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Always good to check PTV, but the heads with cams have already been retrofitted successfully, though I don't know what method was used to fire the second (*dual) plug. You'll want the 2008+ intake manifold to go with it. You'll need a custom tune as well, but FYI that won't solve your extra spark plug problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Always good to check PTV, but the heads with cams have already been retrofitted successfully, though I don't know what method was used to fire the second (*dual) plug. You'll want the 2008+ intake manifold to go with it. You'll need a custom tune as well, but FYI that won't solve your extra spark plug problem.
Thank you for your information. I got the 09 intake at the same time I got the heads & cams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts