DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know this, and some not. I've been in the car business for 12 years and this is the first I've heard of it...

Your 2006 and up Rams have an ECM (Engine Control Module). This replaces almost all of your fused circuits and relays with a computer. This is great for more accurate warning lights and helping the systems talk to one another. The system has integrated relays. That's to say, relays that are hooked to breakers and any variance in power above or below the set tolerance can trip the breaker. When this happens, the computer resets it and goes about it's business.

Where it gets ugly is if you put too much load (example: adding extra reverse lights that are wired directly into your factory back up lights, like, ahem, I may have done). These will trip the breaker in the ECM, it gets reset and works again. UP TO 250 TIMES. Once you do it more than 250 times, the circuit is disabled, and you must take it to the dealer to be reset. They can reset it up to five times. After that, you just bought yourself a new ECM to the tune of $1,200. Congratulations.

What caused all this for me was a great little product called WhiteNight http://www.whitenight.com/ that was wired in not so great by yours truly. When the truck was put in reverse, the light would come on after about a one second delay. Turns out, the delay was when the ECM was reseting the breaker and turning the circuit back on. Then one day (apparently after backing up 250 times), I lost my reverse lights entirely. Disconnected it, went to the dealer (my work), got it reset, and wired it in correctly using the provided relay that I ignored before. :LOL:

Many of you may already know this. Some of you may not. I just wanted to document it so when some schmuck like me decides to search the forum for info on it, it's here.

Cheers!
Snowman

·
Registered
549 Posts
Very interesting, thank you. Is there any way to tell when I am putting on too much of a load? I have a reverse led bar for example installed, and I have the reverse wired to the left taillight reverse. And the right and left blinkers are on wires further down under the bed somewhere, I didn't directly connect them on the tail lights. They work fine.

Would a voltage being too high on a passenger side headlamp cause the ECM to reset itself?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting, thank you. Is there any way to tell when I am putting on too much of a load? I have a reverse led bar for example installed, and I have the reverse wired to the left taillight reverse. And the right and left blinkers are on wires further down under the bed somewhere, I didn't directly connect them on the tail lights. They work fine.

Would a voltage being too high on a passenger side headlamp cause the ECM to reset itself?
Good question. When I came in my service writer printed an electrical chart that outlined the tolerances. This is also why LEDs without anything to weight the load of the draw can cause faulty turn signals in Dodges.

For the side to side question; I believe I remember the left and right sides of the truck separated for headlamps and parking lights/turn signals. That could be your problem. Like I said before, the delay for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second from power on to actual illumination could be a telltale sign of this. Hope you get it worked out. Ask your Dodge dealer for some wiring diagrams!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I gotta wonder what this means for HID Headlight kit owners...

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Um...ok. I've never heard of any of that before. There aren't any modules in the gas burning Rams called the ECM, only the diesels. The PCM is the engine controller and the module you're referring to is the TIPMCGW. Over amping a circuit will trip any internal breakers but underamping won't.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Um...ok. I've never heard of any of that before. There aren't any modules in the gas burning Rams called the ECM, only the diesels. The PCM is the engine controller and the module you're referring to is the TIPMCGW. Over amping a circuit will trip any internal breakers but underamping won't.
Good to hear, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only personal experience is with this truck. I've sold them for years, but DCX doesn't give the retail staff that sort of knowledge.

I love my truck, just have to learn how to live with it sometimes! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
31 Posts
so did you have any problems after you wired it in correctly using the relay? or with what ramtech said, would this even be an issue on a gasser?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so did you have any problems after you wired it in correctly using the relay? or with what ramtech said, would this even be an issue on a gasser?
Nope, she runs like a champ now! As for gas vs. diesel, I'm not aware of the differences.

BY THE WAY: I HAVE A SECOND SET OF THESE LIGHTS BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. THEY RETAIL FOR ABOUT $75 SHIPPED. MAKE ME AN OFFER ON THEM IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still have my rear lights available. I'd take $50 from someone on here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts