DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I promised to tell you all about how the eBay special heated seat kit installation went. Here is what I can recall now. Feel free to ask away.

I forgot to take some pics so I will do it tomorrow and edit the post accordingly.

I am very mechanically inclined and a professional craftsman but I don’t usually work on cars and my extensive tool collection is focused on stuff other than greasy pieces of rusty metal so take that as the appropriate background when judging my methods.

It took me probably close to one hour to remove the passenger seat; maybe 25~35 minutes to de-glove the seats, install the pads, and re-cover them; and maybe 15 minutes to put the seat back in place. The electrical connections were a breeze. Yes father, I confess, I was a bad boy and didn’t disconnect the battery as it is said everywhere to do. I doubt every time a grease monkey removes a seat does it and I reckoned unplugging a connector wouldn’t kill anything. It didn’t.

I removed the passenger seat first. That was the longest/most painful part as it is attached to the jump seat (Still haven’t found a floor console I can afford). By the way, thank you Ram for having three different sizes among the 8 bolts used to attach that combo of seats. :smiledown: Once you can comfortably reach the underside it is fairly easy to peel off the upholstery and place the pads. You only need to gain access to about 50% to be able to slide everything in place.

Having big Sasquatch paws like mine guarantees you a few scraped knuckles though. Oh, joy!

Before placing the passenger seat back in place I did the driver’s without removing it. With so much empty space it makes things much easier. Once half empty a crew cab has a pretty cavernous interior actually.

You have to cut the metal hog-ties to release the fabric. I didn’t buy a hog-tie kit because I don’t think I’ll have much use for it in the future so I just used zip ties to reattach the seat covers and form the original pleats.

Car seat cover Car seat Seat belt Vehicle Auto part
There is a couple of sheets of reflective metal tape included that comes pre-cut in strips. Lacking instructions I just decided to place it in between the foam and the pads. I don’t know whether it helps redirect the heat but it can’t hurt.

Yellow
A bit scary to cut holes in the mesh but, as advertised, works flawlessly.

Yellow Beige
I have to say that the seats look and feel exactly like new and don’t make any strange noise when seating on them or moving around. You couldn’t tell anything has been done to them.

The kit comes pre-wired with relays and switches and it is plug and play. I got it for about $56 for two seats (4 pads) from eBay.

I used the connectors under the seats instead of the accessory power plugs. With a multimeter I found a source of switched power that I tapped with T-spade connectors in case it malfunctions and I need to unplug them.

I installed the switches under the Ram logo on the lower centre of the dashboard. It looks very clean but I will move them a bit higher. This is because the switches’ LEDs are visible enough while glowing red (hi-power) but very difficult to see when glowing green (lo-power). That is because of the rocker action pointing them towards the floor.

In my case it is not important because my next mod will be veneering the centre portion and the door panels so I can cover the holes and drill new ones for better switches. I plan on getting some of those fancy [URL="https://otrattw.net/CONTURA-V-SEAT-HEATER-ROCKER-ONLY-VVPZCSH-500.html”]Otrattw[/URL].

I am extremely pleased with the operation of the kit. It heats up really well and quite fast. At least as fast as my wife’s BMW X3’s OEM seats. The feeling is a little different but I guess it is just because her car has leather and mine cloth.

I have a very short commute and by the time the truck’s forced air heating really kicks in I am arriving at work. Now, with the heated seats, about a block away from home I can feel my tuckus warm and happy. :smileup:

I forgot to take pictures of the electrical tapping and the dashboard post-installation but I will edit this post tomorrow once I get them.​

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to do it given the apparent lack of interest but I will get those pics this week and update it as soon as possible, jdpanero.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i had some aftermarket heat put in my nissan rogue by the dealer (subcontractor) when i bought the car and had come katzskins put on. the bottom portion, on the seat wouldn't work. they said they couldn't put it on because of something about the seat airbag. the back worked fine. i think they were just pulling my leg. no offer of replacement or anything. traded the car within a year.
nice job. my sport has the heated seats. i use them often as i have them set to come on automatically when its cold enough.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t think they were pulling your leg, cass. I’ve actually read somewhere here that the new Ram don’t have heaters on the bottom part of the passenger seat due to the sensor that registers when there’s somebody sitting there and triggers the airbag.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Missing pictures

So, as promised a longtime ago, here are the missing pictures of the electrical connection and the switches for the seat heaters. Better late than never I guess.

These harnesses are located under the driver’s seat. You can kinda see in the background of the first picture how I zip-tied the relay to the seat frame cross member. In the same picture the cable numbers are as follows:

#01 Ground
#10 Non-switched 12V+
#13 Switched 12V+

At least that is how it is in my truck. I recommend getting a multimeter and double checking before doing anything potentially dangerous in yours.

In the second picture you can see how I just tapped into the seat part of the harness. I used a bigger connector (yellow) because I was adding wires for two seats into the main one. I didn’t want to fit three cables in a red connector.

Last, but not least, you can see the switches in their current position in the dashboard’s centre console, under the radio bezel. I plan in swapping them by fancier and bigger ones that would be placed horizontally where the Ram logo is now. Because I plan on veneering that centre part I will be removing the logo insert and thus not damaging it. The space left should be more than enough to fit the switches.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.