DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heated seats kit installation

2484 9
So, at last I received the kit with the front seats heaters I ordered from eBay.

It comes all pre-wired so it seems pretty much foolproof. My only concern is where would it be the best place to connect them to the truck itself.

To those among you who have done it before, where is the best place to tap into the truck's electrical system? I'm guessing that when both seats go on at full power they must draw a fair amount of current. I don't want to pick a wire that won't support enough amperage and start a fire. That would heat my bum a tad too much probably.

Also, is it really feasible to do it without taking the seats off the truck or it's just better to go ahead and remove them?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I have to include the report from the firefighters if nay!? :LOL:

I am planning on taking pictures but I wouldn’t want to tell other people how to do it if I am doing it wrong. That would be kinda embarrassing (and dangerous).

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry jfry11, been pretty busy and forgot to follow up. Also, here in the West Coast the cherry blossoms are already starting to, well… blossom and I must have been distracted feeling bad for you guys back East shovelling that strange white stuff… :LOL:

I’m glad to report that it went surprisingly well.

OK, this reply was getting out of hand in length so I just decided to give it its own post. You can read more that you’d ever wanted to know about my seats here.

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Alberta IS East of me actually. ;) But then, everything is East of me.

I really recommend doing this mod, it is pretty easy and quick, dirt cheap, and the satisfaction to effort ratio couldn’t be any better.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious if there was an existing harness to connect to, or did you run a hot lead to the fuse panel? Yes i think you are right in the amp draw with heated seats, i'm pondering doing a similar deal yet installing 2015 Laramie Seats new take outs, heated & cooled yet i'm not pulling the trigger unless i know it can be done.... what's your thought?

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HaulinHemi, I’m using the seats at least twice daily with perfect results and I still haven’t gone up in flames! ;) That’s good in my book.

I tapped straight into a harness that is under the driver’s seat. I have the electric seat and there are two harnesses there, a small one and a bigger one. In the later I found a ground and both switched and non-switched power wires. They are of a thicker gauge than the seat heaters’ wires themselves so I assumed there would be no problem.So far I’ve used both seats simultaneously at the high setting without any foul electrical smell. :smileup:

By the way, the kit wiring provides you with the relays and a inline fuse on each red wire so that’s reassuring.

I will try and get those pics as soon as possible, weather and job workload depending.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.