DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... just bought a 2008 diesel 2500 with TRX4 package, and it has the cloth seats with the fold-up center seat back and a fixed floor console that has 3 cup holders and the 4x4 shifter as part of the assembly. I am looking to do a couple of things:
1) With the leaves falling of the trees and a couple of nights getting to below freezing already (%!$*&), and having been spoiled with heated leather seats in my previous vehicle, I picked up some plug-into-the-lighter heated seat cusions to put under the seat covers that came with the truck.
2) I don't want to use grim looking lighter plugs, and would rather chop them off and hardwire the seat cushions to some lighted toggle switches at the dash, under the small switch panel that houses my engine brake switch. The problem is that I need to remove the floor console to get the wires to the dash, and I am hoping that somebody here has the procedure to remove it.
I realize that this mod is a bit goofy, but I need to keep my back warm to avoid muscle pain in my late-model bag of bones.

Anybody have a solution?

·
Registered
154 Posts
sorry i dont have an answer but if you dont mind sharing where did you get the cushions and how much did they cost. I sure would like to have heated seats again :smileup:

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Where do you plan on wiring them to? I tried removig the consol once in an 05 with manual transmission without lookin it up and couldn't figure it out haha
In your case it may be easier to just tuck the wires under the edge of the consol and only remove the bezel around the radio since that is actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i dont have an answer but if you dont mind sharing where did you get the cushions and how much did they cost. I sure would like to have heated seats again :smileup:
I picked them up at a Canadian auto/department store called Canadian Tire. Thanks for getting me to look at their site again (canadiantire.ca), as I just bought these on sale last week, but saw some massage\heat ones for the same price just now! I guess it's time to upgrade :smiley_thumbs_up:. I checked the box ... they are imported from China for redistribution under an AutoTrends name. Probably can get similar at WalMart or on eBay?

Where do you plan on wiring them to? I tried removig the consol once in an 05 with manual transmission without lookin it up and couldn't figure it out haha
In your case it may be easier to just tuck the wires under the edge of the consol and only remove the bezel around the radio since that is actually pretty easy.
Yeah, I think that the tuck might work for that portion. There is a removable tray that allows easy access for getting the cabling through, but will still need to mount some toggle switches on the dash, and will take another look at that. Thanks ....

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Console removes pretty easy. It's only a 2 Tylenol job.

Remove the 4WD shifter knob and boot
Pop out the cup holder tray
Remove the 4 bolts (2 from the shifter hole and 2 from the cup holder hole)
Lift off cover
Remove the 2 bolts from the mini console front tray and remove (takes a bit of a tug as there are 2 clips holding the front of it.)
That should give you full access. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Console removes pretty easy. It's only a 2 Tylenol job.

Remove the 4WD shifter knob and boot
... full access. :)
Excuse my noobness, but how do I remove the $WD shifter knob? I tried to turn it but didn't get far. Also, does the boot snap out? Thanks in advance ... :rep: even though my power is at zero ...

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The center cap will pop off with a small screw driver. There is a nut under it that holds the knob on. :)

Whether the rep value is 0 or 50 does not matter, it's the thought that counts. I'm not here to build a big rep number, I'm here because this forum has helped me immensely, and I'm doing my best to pay some of that back. :smileup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well said, Brad. Well said. And thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi ... just bought a 2008 diesel 2500 with TRX4 package, and it has the cloth seats with the fold-up center seat back and a fixed floor console that has 3 cup holders and the 4x4 shifter as part of the assembly. I am looking to do a couple of things:
1) With the leaves falling of the trees and a couple of nights getting to below freezing already (%!$*&), and having been spoiled with heated leather seats in my previous vehicle, I picked up some plug-into-the-lighter heated seat cusions to put under the seat covers that came with the truck.
2) I don't want to use grim looking lighter plugs, and would rather chop them off and hardwire the seat cushions to some lighted toggle switches at the dash, under the small switch panel that houses my engine brake switch. The problem is that I need to remove the floor console to get the wires to the dash, and I am hoping that somebody here has the procedure to remove it.
I realize that this mod is a bit goofy, but I need to keep my back warm to avoid muscle pain in my late-model bag of bones.

Anybody have a solution?
I would try tucking the wires under the edge of the console (without removing it) and see if you can get things routed to where you need to go. I would avoid removing the console. Too many times I've heard of guys getting rattles in their consoles after taking them apart. Those little rattles and squeaks drive me crazy!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts