DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heated Wiper Blades

9K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  sonocativo 
#1 ·
Anyone ever try heated wiper blades? I've found a few online but hesitant to try something that might just be a dud. Hoping someone here has tried them. I'm real tired of freezing wiper blades and not being able to see. Then again at -32C/-25F not too many wipers work well.

#2 · (Edited)
there is a GM part # that is a wiper heater pad that sticks to the inside of the window, they were used in some of the Pontiac Grand Prix. I was looking into this as well, the wiring is very simle and I figured could be linked up with the defrost switch.

I'll go looking for it.

found something by Subaru offered on the Forester as well, same thing heated wiper pad.

#6 ·
there is a GM part # that is a wiper heater pad that sticks to the inside of the window, they were used in some of the Pontiac Grand Prix. I was looking into this as well, the wiring is very simle and I figured could be linked up with the defrost switch.

I'll go looking for it.

found something by Subaru offered on the Forester as well, same thing heated wiper pad.
I leased a Subaru Tribeca for the wife a couple years ago. It had this concentrated rear defroster in the front windshield. Clearly it was designed to defrosted the wipers when they were not moving. Hence, I never or rarely had wipers frozen to the windshield.

Very cool engineering design. Kudos Subaru!! :smileup:

Back to the original post....never heard of heated wipers unless we are talking about the same thing that Subaru uses. :doh:

#7 ·
+1 I'd kill or mame to have a heated windshield in the Ram, now that would be an Alberta must have mod for sure! $700 for a replacement is a bit steep but damn would it be worth it around here for the 4 months or more of nasty winter!

#8 ·
Everblades is a website for heated wiper blades. They have a 12v connection and a separate switch IIRC. The company started as a Senior Design project at Michigan Technological University in Houghton, MI (da UP, der eh!). I personally know a few people that have tried them and enjoyed having them on their trucks there around Houghton. I have not gotten a set myself to try out here in AK, yet... From the website, I see that there's a few places in Canada that are resellers.

I don't know about the heated windshield, seems like it could cause issues at the really cold temps (-30*F and colder).

#12 · (Edited)
Dodge and Plymouth Caravans/Voyagers have had heated windshields since around 97. I never could understand why it wasn't an option offered on the Rams.

There are also aftermarket defrosters that can be used on the lower half of the windshield if anyone was interested. It comes in a tape form and adheres to the inside of the glass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HEATFLE...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6207a390#ht_1689wt_698

#14 ·
If youreally think about, a heated blade will not actually work. The heat would not be applied long enough for it to melt anything with the blades moving. It would be no different than sitting here with a lighter and run it back and forth under your hand outside in 30 degree or whatever weather, you wouldnt even feel it unless you held it there long enough or moved VERY SLOWLY...which the wipers will never do. Just some logics.

#17 ·
I think the heated wiper blade is intended to keep the ice and snow from sticking to the blade, not the windshield. After the windshield is defrosted they may keep if from accumulating on the blade.
Thats probly true, I hate that buildup and all it does is smear the window instead of wiping it clean. Reaching out or getting out to "pop" the blades is a PITA...lol

#16 ·
One thing I have used that helps repel the ice is Rain-X Glass Wax.... It works fairly well but needs to be done regulary... the washer fluids seem to just freeze up anyways and makes vision worst, Mostly the wax prevents the ice/snow from sticking and will scrape off fairly easy, I actually had ice on my Grand AM just slide off in one big sheet when I applied it just before a big storm.

#18 ·
The purpose of the heated wiper blades is to keep the ice from building up on the wiper blades only. The defrost will keep the windshield clear. When it's as cold as it is up here right now and you get light snow just the melted snow from the windshield will freeze the wipers solid rendering them useless! You have to constantly reach out the window and bang the ice off the wiper blades. Of course you don't have this issue on the highway but when your in stop and go city traffic it gets real old real quick.

#21 ·
Worst part about it is that guy really only needs them for about a week total a year, but what a pain while it is going on! Was really hoping someone had used them and said they were worth the coin. Guess I'll just have to guinea pig them and post a review!

#27 ·
Ah yes the Deerfoot 500 spring rockchuck festival! Lived in Calgary for 7 years and 3 windshields!

#29 ·
Dickey John makes a heated fluid kit. We have started to use them at work. They are great. Other companies make them also but I do not know much about them. The dickey John system is like a tankless water heater. It is only on demand. They also have a kit to heat the washer bottle. But I'm not sure how well that one works.

#38 ·

#39 ·
Apparently, GM had a small issue with their heated wiper system. It got too hot, and there was no fuse on the circuit that powered them.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.