DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a set of Hella Black Magic driving lights behind my grille on my 2011 5.7 Ram.

Reason - I got some blackout headlight covers that are removeable for Christmas. I knew they would block out some light, but I had no idea how much. So I put them on and I think they look awesome. However, I'd say dang near block out all light. Thank goodness the factory fog lights are awesome. Anyways, they look good enough to keep and I'm too lazy to remove them whenever I need light. So I need aux lighting. Now, my truck is blacked out and I don't want big chrome lights. Plus its a stock sport, so I don't want some big bull bar with a ton of lights. (I do plan on doing that once the truck is paid off and I lift it)

Ordered the kit from Amazon $101
Kit came in. 2 lights and complete wiring.
Install directions are universal, so they are pretty non-specific.

Mounting the lights
Assemble mounting brackets on the lights

Pop hood

Remove Radiator shroud

Remove grille (4 bolts then use a long flat head screw driver to wedge under the tabs at the bottom to pop them out) For painted bumpers USE A PROTECTIVE BARRIER BETWEEN BOTTOM OF GRILLE AND BUMPER. Once you pop that grille loose you have a high risk of scratching your bumper.

Drill 2 holes through the radiator support bar. The radiator support bar has 2 rectangular holes in it already. I put the drill through that rectangle in the middle and then moved it over towards the middle of the truck. Center of the rectangle has close issues with the light hitting some resevior.

Put the light mounting bolt through the holes and put the nut on.

It was at this point I started having trouble. The mounting bolt takes a 17mm nut. I could not get a 17mm socket or anything down in that radiator radiator retangle to tighten the bolt. I used my fingers and a pair of needle nose pliers to get the nut on the bolt and finger tighten it. Because the nut needs cranked down to keep the light from turning left and right, I needed to get something down that retangle. Needle nose pliers weren't doing it and I'm not Superman, so my finger wouldn't work either. So I'm stuck.

I took a dremel with a cut off wheel and lenghtened and widened the radiator retangle hole on just 2 sides. Just enough to get a long 17mm socket in there. (So now I've drilled 2 holes and enlarged 2 openings on my brand new truck. Boo!)

Tighten that up pretty good and then tighten the bolts on the lights that adjust the up down range.

Lights are mounted!

Wiring the lights
I mounted the relay, there is a bolt on the battery tray below the red positive battery cable. I unbolted that and stuck the bolt through the relay and rebolted it.
to be continued. (Have to go to a meeting)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice. I like it. May do something similar to my 2500... Already have the road armor stealth plus pre-runner, so there currently is 2 pair of fogs, but will b 3 pair, but be nice to have a hidden set as well i say...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top part of the relay (Male) has 4 wires: Blue = ground, yellow = switch, Black = lights, Red = power. (I disconnected the relay from the female that I mounted on the frame earlier to avoid any blown fuses or shorts)

Black: I connected the black wires from the relat to the lights
Blue grounds on light: connected passenger side light ground to a horn mounting bolt. Drivers side, loosened some resevour bolt and put the wire behind it and tightend the bold so it is smashed to the frame.

Red: There is a nut that connects the red battery cable to the battery terminal connector. I hooked it on that bolt. I also put the green 12V+ wire there also. I'll get to that later.

Blue: There is a ground cable bolted to the frame right forward of the battery. I used that bolt and nut and connected the blue wire there.

Yellow: goes in the cab

I looked and there is a tube that goes through the firewall under the steering wheel. It has a rubber boot on it. The outside rubber boot follows the tube down about 4 inches. Unfortunately it was too tight to thread the yellow and green 12V+ wires up there. I was poking on the rubber boot on the inside of the cab with a coat hanger and accidently poked a hole through it. So since there is a hole there now, I threaded the yellow and green wires from the engine side into the cab.

The switch

I bought a Hella flush mount green LED switch and will mount that on my center console. Until then, I hooked the yellow to the center prong of the switch that came in the kit. The green 12V+ goes to one side and a blue ground goes to the other. There is a bolt and nut on the frame next to the E brake, I just attached the ground wire there behind the nut. So the switch now is all connected.
I go back out the engine and take the green wire and connect that to the same bolt I have the red wire connected to on the battery. The instructions say the green 12V+ wire is supposed to be spliced into the headlight wire. (I'm not splicing into my factory harnesses or sticking it in the fuse box.)

Then I connected the male and female relay
Now, its time to see if they work. I flip the switch and nothing. DANG IT!!!! So I flip the blue ground and green 12V+ leads on the switch. Let there be light!

Now that it works, adjust the beam left and right by the mounting bolt and you can move the light up and down by pushing on it.

The wires are still everywhere.
Black: I routed and zip tied it along the horn harness and the cut the extra length off by the relay and connected it back up.
Red: cut the extra length off by the relay and connected it back up. make sure you keep the internal fuse on the red wire and don't cut that off.
I zip tied a little extra length of the black and red wires next to the battery.
The yellow and green wires to the cab, I just stuffed behind the battery and zip tied a few spots.

put the grille and rad shroud back on.

Results:
Looks: Good. You can see from the picture the lights are nicely hidden and don't stand out.
Light: ahhhh, not amazing, but I'd say they come to bringing back what I lost in my headlights straight in front of the truck. Probably more intense. But it's not very wide. The grill probably blocks quite a bit too. However with the dim headlights, fog lights and Hellas. It's acceptable.

Recommendation: If you have the black outs, want some nice consealed lights, and don't need to light up the world or blind people, they are great for recovering some light in front of your truck. Especially for only $100.
I'm really happy with them and would definitely recommend them for someone wanting the same set up and results.
I have no idea if KCs or PIAA would do any better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks Fantastic

That looks really good!!! I have a '11 1500 that I use for work and play. I don't like chrome so much and have a black "back rack" and tool box on it. I like the blacked out look and this will look great on my truck as well. Along with hiding the lights having them inside the grille offers some protection as well. Thanks for the great wriye up.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nice mod. Rep points for the write-up and pics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

The grille emblem came from Billetbadges.com It was about $100 and about 2-3 weeks to get it. I'm impressed with the quality and exact fit. Their website has a bunch of examples that you can choose from, but it's totally custom. You can submit your own design and they will do it for ya. There are quite a few examples and pics on this forum site. I like all the variety that people have on here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Hella Flush mounted green LED rocker switch came in this weekend.

So I pry off the chrome bezel trim around the shifter. I stuck like a credit card under there and pryed it up. Then I used my fingers to lift up on it. I used a flat head screw driver and pushed on the tab and pulled up on the bezel. I can see this thing breaking easily. Fortunately, it didn't.
Then I took the rubber cover off the front tray and unscrewed 2 screws. The center console trim just pulled right off.

I had to drill a hole in the center console. I used the biggest drill bit I had which was like a 1/2" and was not big enough (That's NOT what she said)
I had to used a dremel with the round sander to open the hole. I did just a small bit and tried the switch so I wouldn't over size the hole.
Once the hole was big enough, I put the switch in.
There is a small panel on the center console down by the gas pedal. You can just pull that out. Run the ground (blue), switch power (yellow), and 12V+ (green) that were in the cab from previous and run them up under the center console, through the center console, and connect them to the switch. **disconnect the relay before you do all this because my yellow wire touched something, it arked and blew a fuse in the internal wire. By an act of God, I had a spare fuse in my house. For what I have no idea, but thank you Big Guy.**
Flip the switch and see if they work. If yes, then put console back together, cut the wires under the dash to loose excess wire, and zip tie them up to harnesses that are already there to get them out of the way.

Job Finished!!! :smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Looks good man!
Sorry haven't been around the forum lately, been stuck in the damn bush with no internet or cell for work

Glad to see everything turned out well

Rep points thrown your way!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
old thread, but amazing write up, its just what i was looking for. I bought the same lights yesterday, and will be installing them this weekend. So thanks alot for this step by step!

·
Registered
150 Posts
nice write up. i have the same lights to mount behind the grill of my 09. got them here at least a year on a shelf wainting to get installed. if i find the time.
how long did it take you to install?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It could have taken as little as an hour, but cutting the holes open in the front cross bar and the hole in the center console took some time. I think it took like 4 hours. However, if I had to do it again, I could do it in just 1 hour tops.
Most of my time was spent opening the holes little by little until I just got the socket or switch in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaagghh, light output is ok. I was hoping for a lot more but I don't have anything to compare it to. They are pretty direct beams. They do the job, but I'm not over impressed with the light output. BUT, I have not had any issues with them and they look great with my truck. I would not want big chrome ones on my blacked out truck.
So bottom line, I need extra lighting because of my black outs. These do the job but isn't blinding anyone. If and when I do it again, I will buy these again. So I am happy overall with them.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
im glad i revived this thread!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts