DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2014 1500 with the 5.7 and recently had started getting the lifter tick and exhaust leak from the manifolds bolts breaking. I took the cylinder heads off and took them to the machine shop to get the broken manifold bolts removed while they were at the shop i checked the lifters and found 3 that the rollerheads were really loose on so i replaced them and reassembled everything with new gaskets but now when i start it up it runs fine for maybe 30-45 seconds until it reaches idle rpms and then the cel starts flashing and gives me code P0300 and when i put it in gear the whole truck shudders real bad. ive replaced all the spark plugs and the crankshaft sensor but still doing the same thing. i dont think it could be my cam because none of the "damaged" lifters showed any kind of scoring, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
i have a 2014 1500 with the 5.7 and recently had started getting the lifter tick and exhaust leak from the manifolds bolts breaking. I took the cylinder heads off and took them to the machine shop to get the broken manifold bolts removed while they were at the shop i checked the lifters and found 3 that the rollerheads were really loose on so i replaced them and reassembled everything with new gaskets but now when i start it up it runs fine for maybe 30-45 seconds until it reaches idle rpms and then the cel starts flashing and gives me code P0300 and when i put it in gear the whole truck shudders real bad. ive replaced all the spark plugs and the crankshaft sensor but still doing the same thing. i dont think it could be my cam because none of the "damaged" lifters showed any kind of scoring, but any advice would be greatly appreciated
From what I've heard, the Hemi 5.7s cam is supposed to be replaced when the lifters are changed out. But this is coming from a YouTube tech so I have no way to verify this. I don't remember the lingo he was spouting off but I do remember thinking to myself that it made perfect sense while he was explaining it. Hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in here...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why did you remove the heads? Did you replace the lifters with OEM lifters and were any of them the MDS lifters, though that should effect the idle? When a lifter follower gets "loose", The roller bearings may have failed and it is likely the follower damaged the cam lobe. If you were already down to the lifters, perhaps should have replaced the cam.
P0300 is random or multiple cyl misfires, so the issue may not be with just one cyl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts