DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm kinda new here so i'm sorry if this post has been made already, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Okay so here is my predicament that I would love help with and any guidance. I have a ram with the 5.9 v8 and 46RE auto trans that I am just now getting time to put together in the truck. I had had to put a replacement engine in the truck with the old tranny myself but went to college and it sat in my driveway unfinished (no accessories, exhaust from the manifold, harness not attached, etc) here in the north with the snow and everything. The engine and trans have been sitting in the truck that is outside with the fluids drained for almost 1 1/2 years.

It is also 30°F outside right now..
The reason for the post is I am getting ready to start her up and Id like guidance as to what I need to make sure to either replace or do before hitting the starter for it to live once again! I bought Mobile1 10w-30 High Mileage synthetic (good oil for cold dry start up?) and some Atf+4 for the trans, I have new plugs and wires for it and a MSD coil also. I also was told to buy some Marvel Mystery Oil and put some down the spark plug holes to get an gunk that might be down ther and to help lube the pistons before a manual crank on the harmonic balancer, I am unsure if I should take off the valve covers and put a little Mystery Oil there as well :4-dontknow: . I have a K/N cold air intake for it but I don't know if i should leave it off till its started.

Am I missing anything that is a must do before I let the starter turn it over? Again, the following are dry of fluids- the engine has no coolant or oil, trans, and torque converter.

This is my first post and I'm not too familiar with how to find most things on forums, so bare with me. Feel free message me if you wish also. Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
My self I would leave the plugs out for the first crank over. bump ignition a couple times adding small amounts of oil to each cylinder the first couple ignition bumps. then crank it over a few seconds to remove oil through plug holes. Thats the only advice i have.

Good luck..

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
For the love of all that is holy PLEASE go buy strait 40 weight or shell rotella NON SYNTHETIC diesel oil and pre crank the engine to distribute it into the galleries to protect them.

Basically pull the connector (not wire) off the coil pack and pull the fuel relay and crank it over using the starter several times giving the starter at least 30 seconds to cool off between cranks.

Fill the coolant passages with Zerex G05 (3 gallons of this and one gallon of water)

This should give you as much protection as possible. Empty the 40 weight after the engine has run for a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts