DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here. I just bought a 2008 ram 1500 big horn quad cab 4x4 5.7. When starting from areas stop going through first couple gears and driving at low rom there is some type of chatter coming from underneath somewhere. It only has 50k on it and is in immaculate condition. Just did a full service on it. Transmission filters and fluids, differential fluids, oil change etc.

Dealer said its excess noise when the MDS is on and only running on 4 cylinders. Is this true or does this sound right. It sounds like a dang ups truck from in the cab but you can't really hear it that bad on the outside. Should I be worked that it is something else or does this sound right that it is just the MDS?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? Usually if it does it can make MDS sound pretty annoying. I bought a programmer and turned mine off so I don't have that drone when it kicks in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No aftermarket exhaust, yet. It almost sounds like valve chatter. That's just the kind of sound it is. I have noticed if I don't wait 15-30 seconds when I start the vehicle the torque converter doesn't fill back up and it shifts hard, but is I wait it shifts fine. I love the MDS, get great gas mileage

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depending on the muffler you choose you may grow to hate it with the aftermarket. As for the noise I am unsure. A lot of people talk about the "Hemi Tick" others have actually problems with lifters, ect. Maybe someone else will have a better idea of the noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am more under the impression that it is the MDS now because whenever I turn of the overdrive it doesn't make that noise at all. And I have heard that with the overdrive off the MDS does not kick in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes that is true. Same with tow/haul mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.