DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Westin Pro Traxx 4 side steps for my 2015 Ram quad cab and the mounting hardware didnt work because I have welded in nuts where the hexagonal holes are supposed to be. I dont know what size the nuts are but I can't find anything about this anywhere. Called parts dep at my dealership and they didnt know. Can anyone please help me. I want to but on side steps but need to know if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That was refreshing, I am going to go to Fastenal and get the bolts and put these bars on instead of returning them. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered the same bars, should be receiving them today. I'll post when I get them installed, likely sometime tomorrow.

There is some information in an Amazon review of these about switching the rear mounts to the opposite side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately for me there was some type of bracket holding a cluster of electronic wires next to the mount below the drivers side door. They wouldn't work for me. I am going to have to go with the OEM bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unfortunately for me there was some type of bracket holding a cluster of electronic wires next to the mount below the drivers side door. They wouldn't work for me. I am going to have to go with the OEM bars.
Hi,

Not sure what you are speaking about, I was just under there and the mounting plate is free of any obstructions.

As to your first dilemma, that I CAN verify. I contacted Westin directly and apparently Ram has changed things since the May/June manufacturing date which has resulted in these pre-installed, threaded mounts. They appear to be smaller than 10mm, but I can't be sure as to what size they are exactly. No worries, Westin is shipping me a retrofit kit with (hopefully detailed) instructions which should solve the problem. I'll update once I get the kit and install the bars.

EDIT- Just went and checked again, the closest run of wires or a harness (excluding the emergency brake line) is on the chassis itself, far away from the mounts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread from the dead. I posted same problem in the 2014 section. I too had this issue installing a set of pilot /bully 5" ovals on my crew cab. This made the project concerning as the brackets provided used the large main hole and ran diagonally behind the body to the lower left smaller hole where the pre installed bolts and nuts are. I took a risk and installed the bracket facing the r side of the big hole and tightened it down and just used the left pre installed bolt. I'm hoping this doesn't mess up any weight distribution by not using this bracket. But it seems to be working well on day 3.

I did some more research and it seems these bolts are for installing the OEM steps/nerf bars. Snapped a photo of a co workers OEM mounts and sure as crap they match perfectly. I even have the small tiny hples pre drilled on the lip below these mounting points for the tiny screws that the oem bars use. Disappointed dodge seems to be using this to discourage aftermarket bars.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Unless they have changed things drastically
I will put these on my 2016

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks like you'll be good since those use those holes with the bolts. ...is that nfab? Because looks like I'm gonna be spending money again

·
Registered
102 Posts
All 2015's made after June of this year now have the support bracket on the drivers side under the drivers door. I was just taking with a co-worker about this. He has it on his 2015 Rebel, but I don't have it on my 2015 Laramie. This bracket is for supporting the drivers door so it doesn't sag over time. So I'm guessing, those of us without it are going to have sagging issues with our door over time. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

·
Registered
460 Posts
All 2015's made after June of this year now have the support bracket on the drivers side under the drivers door. I was just taking with a co-worker about this. He has it on his 2015 Rebel, but I don't have it on my 2015 Laramie. This bracket is for supporting the drivers door so it doesn't sag over time. So I'm guessing, those of us without it are going to have sagging issues with our door over time. Sorry, I don't have any pics.
My 7/15 SLT has the welded nuts,but no bracket.

BTW I thought that new bracket was just supporting a wiring harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts