DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading around on the forum for a few days now and even some youtube channels/vids to see if it is worth $800ish dollars for a gear swap from 3.55s to 4.10s. Some say HELL YEAH, some say NOT NOTICEABLE...

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 2WD QC Express with 5.7 65RFE and 3.55 rear 305/45R22x10.5. I have a leveling kit and like running at least a 33" tire with my 22's, could possibly go to a 34" tire later but only 2WD so no more than that.

Main reason for looking into gears was cause it is still a dawg off the line for the occasional drag and tow occasionally as well.

Any input/advice welcomed and appreciated! :smileup:

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
You will see a difference if you go to 4:10's from 3:55's. You might also want to consider going to 4:56's if you really want to come off the line quick. Also consider changing TC, maybe an Edge 2800 or even a 3000 depending on how you use your truck. If you don't have a tuner that might be something you also might want to add.
Jay

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
3.55s to 4.10s is a pretty substantial difference, definitely one you'll notice.
FYI trucks that come stock with 20" wheels come with 33s. You could go to 37s with 4.10s-though some may recommend 4.56s for that (it'd be overkill IMHO).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull Ya:
I do have a diablo right now so i can tune for the gears. The only reason i wouldnt go 4.56 is because at 78mph and current tire height I would be running 2400+RPM. I know i wont go taller than 34" tire and that only brings me down about 50RPM. I am about 60/40 Highway/City and headers drone pretty good lol. I think if i was to do 35+ tires then 4.56 would be great. Yes, a TC is also on my list later down the road!

Thunderhorse:
Awesome, thats what i like to here! I agree, I think 4.56 is overkill especially for my needs/goals. City driving should improve with the 4.10's right? As long as i stay out of it? Opinion on 1/4 mile time change? I think with my 2.5 level i could cram 35"s now but a have a neg offset wheel and i like wider tires so i think i would start rubbing, thats why i kept the height down so i could get an offset.

GT Yankee:
yeah, but i like the look and feel of keeping my same tire height. http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml
I used this to see what gears and tire size combo i could do to stay close to 2000 RPM at 75-78MPH

Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts