DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am a ram owner and DIY'er in need of advice.
Around 6 months ago I purchased a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Within a month my ram started ticking pretty good. I had no timing codes but the ticking came along well. I replaced both exhaust manifolds with no broken bolts found. Eventually it was determined it's my lifters apparently a very common issue. I've done many repairs myself so I was excited to take one the project.
Long story short I replaced the camshaft and lifters all new. While I was in there I replaced all mds solenoids and the vvt solenoid as well. Started the truck and ticking was gone. However now after the truck runs a while and warms up with oil temp close to 60 Celsius my oil pressure starts dropping and the engine gets very loud like its starving for oil top end. My oil levels are always good.
I have attempted to repair this issue by replacing the pickup to oil pump o ring with the same exact results.. I've also replaced the oil pump all together with no change at all in the symptoms. Pressure still drops when warm and gets horrible. No error codes
I know some might suggest bearing issues but when cool the engine is very quiet plus there was no oil pressure issue before. So I tend to think that its related to something done in the cam and lifter swap either a mistake by me or something. The pressure starts in the high 300 kpa and after its warm drops and continues to drop below 100 kpa (I'm Canadian) where I shut it off before I destroy my new cam and lifters.
Anyone have any suggestions or experience with something like this? I am hoping I can get a bunch of suggestions and try and fix it or else it's a new motor (have a little one on the way so trying not to spend thousands right now) I almost wish I never tried to repair it and drove it with its ass ticking.
Thanks for viewing and sorry for the long intro.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,072 Posts
It doesn't seem like you're getting an answer here, let me move the post to another area to see if you'll get an answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I am a ram owner and DIY'er in need of advice.
Around 6 months ago I purchased a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Within a month my ram started ticking pretty good. I had no timing codes but the ticking came along well. I replaced both exhaust manifolds with no broken bolts found. Eventually it was determined it's my lifters apparently a very common issue. I've done many repairs myself so I was excited to take one the project.
Long story short I replaced the camshaft and lifters all new. While I was in there I replaced all mds solenoids and the vvt solenoid as well. Started the truck and ticking was gone. However now after the truck runs a while and warms up with oil temp close to 60 Celsius my oil pressure starts dropping and the engine gets very loud like its starving for oil top end. My oil levels are always good.
I have attempted to repair this issue by replacing the pickup to oil pump o ring with the same exact results.. I've also replaced the oil pump all together with no change at all in the symptoms. Pressure still drops when warm and gets horrible. No error codes
I know some might suggest bearing issues but when cool the engine is very quiet plus there was no oil pressure issue before. So I tend to think that its related to something done in the cam and lifter swap either a mistake by me or something. The pressure starts in the high 300 kpa and after its warm drops and continues to drop below 100 kpa (I'm Canadian) where I shut it off before I destroy my new cam and lifters.
Anyone have any suggestions or experience with something like this? I am hoping I can get a bunch of suggestions and try and fix it or else it's a new motor (have a little one on the way so trying not to spend thousands right now) I almost wish I never tried to repair it and drove it with its ass ticking.
Thanks for viewing and sorry for the long intro.
The metal fragments that came from your lifter chewing up your camshaft likely destroyed the cam and crank bearings which is why you only have oil pressure when your oil is cold and thicker. You can try running 5 or 10w30 to see if that helps but you need a new motor or a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Certainly check your oil, no hidden engine codes?

Have not heard of a single instance where a roller seized and contaminated an engine after proper oil flush and pjmp swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 ram 1500 hemi. Had my lifters and cam changed but still have noise in engine. After the change I got codes for oil pressure and cam but didn't have those when brought into the shop.
Shop is saying it can be oil pressure pump or possibly a crank bearing. What do you guys think. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts