DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couldn't find another post on this, today another member and I were trading wheels and tires, mine has factory 17's, his factory 20's hit the upper control arm, very weird, both 2012's, doest Doge do a different suspension depending on the size of wheels?

·
Registered
148 Posts
As a part of the deal on my truck, I had them swap out the 17's for a set of 20's on a Laramie... No problems here! Is your's a 4x4?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I would think they work, unless maybe if one is 2wd and one is 4wd but even that I would think wouyld work, how wide of tires are you running?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm the other member he's trading with. Mine are 20x8 wheels, his are 17x7. Both with stock tires. Both are 2012 Crew Cab, 4x4. Almost identical trucks. The only difference is mine has Bilstein 5100's set to 2.8. I could understand if the 17' didn't fit mine for some reason, but they fit fine. Putting the 20's on his, they said the wheel itself hit the control arm, not the tire. Doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another thought, my truck was bought new from dealer with aftermarket rims/tires, but on factory trucks there is clips on the hub around the lugs, are they present on both trucks?? Maybe that is how dodge/why dodge uses those clips, basically like a small spacer? Also how far was the 20s on your truck from mounting when they hit?? Also what tires are on the 20s??

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I had the clips on my Ram too
One of the guys at Discount Tire used to work at the assembly line
He said that when the vehicle is going down the line, the rims & tires go on at one station & when it gets to the next station in line, the lugs go on, those clips hold the rim on until the lug nuts go on. When the rims are changed for another type, they cut off the clips & toss them in the trash.

If the tires are not over 12 1/2" wide, they should not be touching, unless the offset on the rim is incorrect

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I didnt know just heard about them, my truck never had them from the start, just scratching my head on how to stock rims wont swap, it could only be tires, and untill they answer what tires are on each wheel, I will still be scratching my head lol

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I had the clips on my Ram too
One of the guys at Discount Tire used to work at the assembly line
He said that when the vehicle is going down the line, the rims & tires go on at one station & when it gets to the next station in line, the lugs go on, those clips hold the rim on until the lug nuts go on. When the rims are changed for another type, they cut off the clips & toss them in the trash.

If the tires are not over 12 1/2" wide, they should not be touching, unless the offset on the rim is incorrect

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine has stock 275/60-20 tires and wheels. I didn't actually see what was hitting as they were already putting the original wheel back on when they told us it didn't fit. They said it was the wheel itself. I took their word on it, but it has me puzzled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, I thought about trying it myself to check, but I just took their word for it that they didn't work yesterday. I'm 90 miles away, so we'll have to see next time I get down there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, for an update. Turns out the guys at Big O obviously shouldn't be working there. We swapped them ourselves tonight and they fit just fine. Only thing we could think that they did was had it too close to the jack and were hanging the bottom of the tire up on the jack since the 20's have a bit wider tires on them.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'm glad that got resolved, as I read this I started getting a headache thinking your mechanics are idiots, glad I'm right lol
The lug spacing is the same, as well as the brake caliper sizes so there shouldn't have been any reason they wouldn't fit. I test fit my 3rd Gen 17's on my 4th for the track and they fit fine, just look kind of weird compared to the 22's lol Glad to see you all got it hammered out :smileup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.