DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 ram regular cab sport 4x4 and I love this truck. I have about 45k on it already and am seriously considering getting a new ram 2500 diesel
crew cab but I cant find the mileage anywhere!!!
do any of you guys that have a new 2013 or 2012 6.7L diesel tell me what you get in the real world?
thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pleasant Surprise

We're pleasantly surprise by the fuel economy of our 2013 2500 turbo diesel. With nothing under tow and driving 65 mph with constant a/c, we recently got 24 mpg on a round trip from Austin to Dallas (about 375 miles).

We also just returned from a trip to Montana pulling a 5th wheel trailer and got about 11 mpg for the entire trip (over 3500 miles), again driving 65 mph with a/c on nearly all the time. There were sections of the trip (mostly in Texas) where we got over 12 mpg, but we were under 11 mpg with high winds (and altitude) in Colorado and Wyoming.

We knew this would be a good test and the truck ran like a champ!

The only problem we're having is that the check engine light (they call it a MIL-malfunction indicator light) came on several times during the trip. Dealers in Texas, Colorado, and Montana said it was a software issue probably related to emission control systems. They updated the software and cleared the error, only to have it come on again within 500 miles. It was back at the dealer in TX today with the same result. Nobody seems to be too concerned about the light coming on, but it's unsettling to have a brand new truck trying to tell me something is wrong. I suppose you can chalk it up to complicated electronics and emission control systems that they've yet to work the bugs out of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2013 2500 6.7L Cummins Longhorn MegaCab and I am getting 20mpg combined and 25mpg on the highway. My wife's 5.4L V8 Expedition only gets 13mpg combined and 18mpg on the highway. I am very impressed with the RAM/Cummins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fuel mpg

I have 2013 crewcab dually with 3.73 and I'm getting 18.5 at 70 mph, it also has the Aisin auto trans which is really smooth at it shift points.So far its the Best Diesel truck I have owned since I have been buying diesel trucks.It's just my 2 cent's on this subject

·
Registered
65 Posts
i find it hard to believe the heavy 2500 cummins is more fuel efficient than the 1500 hemi's...
Kev, coming from someone that has owened both 07 Hemi and 13 Cummins... the Cummins by far gets better mileage. Even back in the day, I drove my Hemi to Arizona and back (Portland, OR) and averaged about 19.1 mpg on the freeway trip (didn't count the tank that was used to drive around Phoenix). 6 months later, I flew to LA and drove home with my dad in his 08 Cummins... We filled up in North LA and drove the 1000 mile trip to Portland.. Got home and still had over a 1/4 tank on our 2nd fill. Averaged about 21.8 straight freeway on that trip.

My 13 Cummins avearges about 16.8 per tank and I drive very little freeway these days and if I am on the freeway, its during rush hour so im rarely over 60 mph for longer then a few miles before I drop down to 30-45mph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally unrelated....sorry. Jealous tho !!!!!!!!!

Have a new 13 ram 2500 laramie longhorn hemi, I get no where near that. 11 in town, 13.7 highway. Like to see it improve, doubtful tho.

Diesel guys enjoy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Totally unrelated....sorry. Jealous tho !!!!!!!!!

Have a new 13 ram 2500 laramie longhorn hemi, I get no where near that. 11 in town, 13.7 highway. Like to see it improve, doubtful tho.

Diesel guys enjoy.
I have a ram hemi 2500 as well. I am getting around 12.3 in town. I have not put much highway use on it yet but last time I did I was a little bit over 14. They say once you get around 10,000 miles on the truck you will get two more miles per gallon. I sure hope so. I didn't buy the truck for gas mileage though. I bought it because I love the look of it and the power of it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh and I do not regret not getting diesel. It would take a long time to recoup that money for me. The heaviest trailer I pull is 6500 pounds. I wanted it more for payload. Also most of my driving is 5 miles to work a day. That would choke out the new diesels. Also I love that Hemi rumble. I think I would miss it. Everyone enjoy what they have.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Picked up my 2500 6.7L Cummins Mega Cab 4x4 in St Louis on 17 July and drove to Oxnard, CA via Ft. Gibson, OK, Plano, TX, Yuma, AZ, and San Diego, CA...averaged 19.6 MPG! I used the cruise control as much as possible. A/C was on the whole way. Exhaust break was on most of the time (Didn't have to touch my breaks at all driving down the mountains towards Phoenix in Northeast Arizona!) There where five of us in the cab with about 400 lbs of luggage in the bed.
Now, mostly driving in town, it is down to 15.7 MPG. She is mostly stock. No mods to motor, trans, or emissions. I ordered a RetraxPro cover from fastNugly which I installed while still in St Louis. Maybe that helped my highway MPG. Thanks fastNugly!
...oh, and no regen until I reached 2919 miles.
No issues at all during the trip.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i find it hard to believe the heavy 2500 cummins is more fuel efficient than the 1500 hemi's...
There's a reason why OTR trucks and trains have diesel engines. Oil burners are great for moving heavy weight around.

Also, diesels run lean and have lots of low end torque... Gas engines will die, if run lean... Running lean allows for better mpg and torque is what moves weight.

Europeans have figured this out (diesel is great for mpg) a long time ago and it's part of the reason 50% of their vehicles sold are diesels...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts