DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here, I've been reading a learning a lot the past six months since I got my ol 2002 Ram from a family member. I'm now faced with a problem I haven't been able to identify with my own research.

I have a small & slow leak forming on the front of the drivers side of the engine. I can only see it from underneath the truck, its not visible at all from the top. Unfortunately I just can't get a good enough look at where it could be coming from to even know where to start addressing this problem, short of beginning to take everything off the engine (which I'd like to avoid until I have some ballpark idea).

Attached is a photo of the area, as you can see its wet, it doesn't quite drip on the drive way but there is an occasional bead of oil that forms at the bottom.

Any insight is greatly appreciated
!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Finding leaks is hard.
First thing to do is clean up the area from the bottom to the top. And then watch if often to see if you can trace the drip back to the source.

A couple of things to snug up:
Valve covers - I had a 3.9L where they came lose.
Oil Pan bolts
Cooling system thermostat bolts

Check power steering fluid levels and reservoir for leaks.

Check oil fill area - oil may have leaked out when filling

Water pump - how many miles on it? Does it make a rattling sound?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Totally agree with washing it down good and then keeping an eye on it.Start looking at the top and work your way down.I've seen guys do rear mains and pan gaskets only to find out it was a rocker cover or intake or even a distributor gasket that was the cause.

If it's tough to see you could put dye in it and then Black lite after a few days.

Saying all that though if that's engine oil I personally wouldn't loose sleep over it if it's just seeping(seen guys make something like this worse trying to stop it).If that's anti-freeze I'b be a bit more concerned.Can't tell which it is from the picture but I'd guess oil.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A clearer pic would help! What's leaking oil or antifreeze? Looks like the timing cover gasket needs replacing. But could be leaking up top somewhere also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts