DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have strips of LED lights that I am installing under the body of my truck. I want to wire them to the parking lights and turn signal in a certain way:

Parking Lights and/or Headlights ON
- I want the LED strips to illuminate
- I want the LED strips to blink their respective side when the respective turn signal is activated

Parking Lights OFF (Headlights obviously will also be off)
- I want the LED strips off
- I do not want the LED strips to blink with the turn signal

I'm guessing I'll have to use a relay or relays, but I'm not sure how to wire it properly. Any help?

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's going to be a bit more complex than usual. Side strip lights normally illuminate with the parking lights and blink with the turn signals regardless of whether the parking lights are on or not. (The headlights aren't really relevant since if they are on, the parking lights are also on.) Are these generic LED strips or one of the purpose built side lights like the Recon Big Rig lights? The purpose built ones will have separate circuits for the parking lights and turn signals and the wiring will be considerably easier.

-K

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are these generic LED strips or one of the purpose built side lights like the Recon Big Rig lights?
They are generic outdoor IP68 LED tape lights.

These specifically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z5OYSQ8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thought was maybe having two relays. One relay connected to the parking lights and another to the turn signal. When the parking lights go on, it closes the relay and sends power to the LEDs to the second relay then brings in the signal from the turn signal. But my logic there may be way off...

·
Registered
503 Posts
They are generic outdoor IP68 LED tape lights.

My thought was maybe having two relays. One relay connected to the parking lights and another to the turn signal. When the parking lights go on, it closes the relay and sends power to the LEDs to the second relay then brings in the signal from the turn signal. But my logic there may be way off...
The first relay, triggered by the parking lights and supplying power to the strips will work (you'll need to get the supply from either a fused battery connection or something like the 12v+ line on the trailer connector) and it can even send supply power to the 2nd relay, but that second relay, with it's trigger is hooked to a turn signal isn't going to do anything because when it activates the lights already have power from the first relay and won't change, they'll still just be on solid. Purpose built units either have two sets of LEDs, one for the parking lights and one for the turn signal or circuitry built in that senses when the turn signal is active and turns off the constant power for the parking lights. The whole process is complicated further by the fact that you don't want the turn signals to activate unless the parking lights are on.

The only way I can think of to do this with 2 strips and relays would use 6 relays and a bunch of anti-feedback diodes. It'd be a complex mess and, imo, not worth it.

Now, if you used 4 strips, 2 on each side, you could have one strip on each side on one relay, triggered by the parking lights and one strip on each side with a relay each triggered by that side's turn signal being on. If the turn signal relays get their supply power from the 1st relay then the turn signals will only activate when the parking lights are on.

Now, if your issue is just the cost of the Recon ones, you could try something like these: https://www.amazon.com/LEDGlow-Courtesy-Running-Lighting-Extended/dp/B01MRVBC8Z Same idea, half the price. I've no idea on the quality though.

BTW: If anyone can see an easier way to do this, please, speak up!

-K

·
Registered
503 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts