DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Between those choices it's pretty easy for me. Volant. It has the best filtration and all 3 are comparable when it comes to flow rates. The volant also is a sealed unit so it won't pull heat from the engine bay. Even with the heat shields of the mopar and the K&N, then can still pull engine bay air.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ive done enough research so far and found out that our trucks intake barely has any restrictions at all, so for now I just have a K&N drop in filter. It's does the job really good. I recently went on a road trip and I notice I was getting 3 1/2 mpg better which in the long run makes a big difference. But I think I'll upgrade later down the road, for $55 it's not a bad investment in my opinion for just the filter. U might wanna try that first then upgrade later if u wanted to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They really all flow about the same including the stock intake with a k&N drop in filter. There is no MAP sensor to adjust fuel so no matter what you do, you'll be running a bit leaner, which is really why you might pick up 1 MPG. Buy whatever one looks the coolest to you our sounds the best if you have a way of listening. Or try your hand at a DIY.
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Heres mine with the lid removed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

And with the lid on(how I drive with it.) I also have a 2.5" aluminum pipe I made from the bottom of the air box out to the front bumper for even more air but don't have a pic uploaded on my computer of that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done enough research so far and found out that our trucks intake barely has any restrictions at all, so for now I just have a K&N drop in filter. It's does the job really good. I recently went on a road trip and I notice I was getting 3 1/2 mpg better which in the long run makes a big difference. But I think I'll upgrade later down the road, for $55 it's not a bad investment in my opinion for just the filter. U might wanna try that first then upgrade later if u wanted to.
Whats the part number for the K&N drop in filter you bought, I'm thinking about throwing that in for now since its only $55.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Im selling my Volant if you want to buy it its got like 15k miles on it and still looks new.
Im asking $250 plus shipping on it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ur welcome, I hope this works for u until u update on the intake system. This might be better then an aftermarket intake but we will see lol.
Yea I picked it up yesterday at a local auto parts for $50 and dropped it in, honestly didnt notice a big difference on power just a little louder and havent driven with it enough to notice any gains in fuel economy, but I should be doing the exhaust in about a week or two and im guessing with the two combined is when ill notice the difference in power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had my heart set on a Volant. Yeah, there are some fitment issues but if you are mechanically inclined enough to install it, you can get it to fit.

I ended up ordering a Vararam system for the 4th gen. I got it $28 cheaper than the Volant I was looking at. I like it because it's different and supposedly performs great. It's still on it's way here (HURRY UP UPS) and I can't wait to get it on. Of course I will have lots of pics for you fellas...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Volant

I have a Volant on my Hemi it sounds great and it is a sealed system i also got the dust cover for the filter. The one thing i have noticed is after time the oil in the filter could plug up the dust cover but it can be easily removed and cleaned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.