DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Please help me decide which truck is better for me to haul 2 cars on a trailer. I have 2 car kaufman trailer gooseneck. looking to buy a DIESEL truck but dont known which one should i get. Like ram2500 or ram3500 dually or ram3500 regular(non dually)so please help me decide which truck is better for me. Since i live in Illinois starting from New Year we will have a raise in our Toollway system,so probably i dont need a Dually only regular 4 wheels truck so i can save some money on tollways? but i dont known.. My budget would be arround 15K+- so what would be the best for my 2 car trailer 2500,3500, dually or not?
Thanks.... Luke....From Chicagoland...

G

·
Welcome to the forum!

Without knowing how much this trailer weighs, loaded or what the tongue weight is, loaded; it's gonna be hard to say whether a 2500 or 3500 will work best. Any idea what the trailer weights are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well for max load of 14k you would go with dually 3500 what if max load would be 12k then what?? is better

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dulley

I have the Dodge 3500 with the Diesel, I have it hopped to 350 Hp. here in Pa I have a combination weight of 23000. I pull a car trailer with a 277B Cat track skidsteer, I'm to the max. But the truck handles it great, before that I was using a F250 ford. I was working it to death and a real challenge to get it stopped. and there was a lot of sway, which the duels take care of that. I would go with the dully with the Diesel.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
use these 2 charts
first is choose the year, then the model, click on either 2500 or 3500 to read the towing capacity

then go to the 2nd part, Load Weight, 14000 lbs will be in the Unclassified area. Then add how many passengers that will be traveling with you, ( don't forget to add a passenger for every 200 lbs that will be in the bed, like tool boxes, suitcases, etc)

http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp

for the purchase price that you mentioned, $15,000
you are likely looking at a 2002 year model
http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list...dlx=exact&bcatid=27&Pref=0&Thumbs=1&scf=false

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you tow that load a lot, I'd get a dually. If not, I'd look for a single rear wheel 1 ton(3500). They can be really hard to find, and it seems like most of the SRW 1 tons are long beds. I have a 2004 3/4 ton Quad Cab 4 wheel drive with the Cummins engine and 4.10 gears. That combo is good for about 12,000lbs towing and thats about it. If I was towing a two car trailer I'd want a 1 ton unless the cars are small and light.

Your price of $15,000 is going to be tough if you want a diesel. I paid about 20k for my truck with 105,000 miles on it. You can get into a diesel for 15k but its going to have a lot of miles, probably over 150,000. I wouldn't be afraid of a gas engined 1 ton, but they are pretty rare.

Good luck in our search, and don't worry about the tolls, thats a small cost of the setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts