DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put new rubber on my truck next week. I got it narrowed down to 275/65-20 bf goodwich all-terrains and goodyear wrangler dura-tracs. cant make up my mind on wich way to go. my ratio to off road use is 80 percent highway 20 percent off-road. shoot me some input to help me make up my mind. Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had some Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos that I loved and got about 70k miles out of them and they were really quiet on the highway and great grip offroad, in water, snow etc... Plus they look awesome... my 2 cents

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got the Firestone Destination A/T. They're great in bad weather (snow, ice, rain) and are quiet for highway driving. They are way better than the factory tires. They also cost less than the A/T Revos and after 16,000 miles on them they are still great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is leveled so I cant help you with that question
I had some toyo open country Mt's on it when I had the factory 17's and hated the tires so I just don't want to dish out allot of cash again. I am leaning to wards the duratracs but I am hearing they wear really fast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would hit up tirerack.com and read the reviews. A lot of great detail there on actual tire experiences. Can even filter the reviews to dodge Ram trucks only. Now some I take with a grain of salt, if you read enough you get the idea.

Read an article one day from one of the major tire manufacturers. They were talking about getting feedback from the customers on the tires, they mentioned letters, focus groups, surveys, and oh yea we read the reviews at tirerack like everybody else. Just thought it was funny.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Over quite a few years and tons of highway driving, towing, and off roading, I've had the BFG AT KO models. I've done a lot of the rough, classic trails in the western U.S. and never had an issue. I've towed my trailer out to these places, aired down, and then off roaded to my heart's content. For tires that do amazingly well off road, I found they do amazingly well on pavement. They're not too loud, roll out well, and have a carcass that is super puncture proof. They have a beefed up sidewall. I've had mine in situations where the tire and rim were mashed together in a rocky section but never showed any issue afterwards when driving hundreds or thousands of mile back to the house while towing a travel trailer. If you're not going to do any off roading but some dirt roads, you have plenty of decent options. If you're going to take one truly rocky trail in Colorado, Utah, or elsewhere, then you'd better get some decent tires that will span both highway and off road. Many tires are almost paper mache in the rocks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looking where you live I think you off roading will be wooded areas and not sandy rocky areas much the same as I have here. If that is the case the BFG's are VERY good mud tires. My only issue is the noise and the amount of milage. My last experience with BFG was on my 97 Ram and at the time the BFG AT's were good for about 40K. I do not know if the amount of interstate driving helps or hurts these tires. They do have noise.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looking where you live I think you off roading will be wooded areas and not sandy rocky areas much the same as I have here. If that is the case the BFG's are VERY good mud tires. My only issue is the noise and the amount of milage. My last experience with BFG was on my 97 Ram and at the time the BFG AT's were good for about 40K. I do not know if the amount of interstate driving helps or hurts these tires. They do have noise.
You bring up a good point concerning noise. I think any tire that will do decently well off road will have more noise than a more pavement oriented tire. It's just a characteristic of the beast. However, I think the BFG AT KO model is one of the quietest tires on pavement that performs to such a high level off road. This tire has been around forever, and I guess there's a good reason for that. I used mine on an '89 full size GMC Jimmy 4X4 that was lifted. As many know, these are old school, tankish vehicles that aren't very nice to their tires for highway driving with their antiquated, rough suspension and drive axle design. I drove the wheels off this truck for decades. I went through several sets of these BFG's. The lowest mileage on a set I got was 44,000 miles. The highest I got was 58,000. I got better mileage after that first 44K set by getting a hardcore 4-wheel alignment on the Jimmy, which isn't easy, and by rotating the tires. Most good off road tires burn down in 20-30K and are noisy as heck. I have friends with other models/brands of off road tires, and most of them are horrid. I just think the BFG AT KO is the best compromise out there as an all around tire. And they're not that expensive for the performance they offer IMO as compared to most.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I feel the same way about the Bridgestone dueler a/t revos as you do about the bfgoodrich ko's. both very good off-road and quiet on road. I averged 65,000 miles put of them on my 05 ram and it was 4 wheel drive full time.. my 11 ram has the goodyear basketball looking tires on it and its two wheel drive and I was looking at tirrrack.com a while back and was liking the continental crossttack lx20 (i think its called) as a mostly drive 80 down the interstate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I ended up going with a set of goodyear duratracs. got the 275 65 20 and they are great so far, will see in another 6 months or so how they are holding up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.