DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What set up for best sounding and most bass?

• JL12w6v2 and HD1200

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Alpine type r 12 with PDX-M12

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Sundown audio SA12's with SAZ1200

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • DC audio Level 2m2 with DC audio 1.2k amp

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard multiple JL systems everything from W0 to 13W7's but never in a crew cab. I haven't heard any of the others. Never even seen a DC or sundown sub lol. The alpines I have only heard in a 350z. I'm used to having all kinds of room and basically get whatever but not this time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a crew cab and I'm doing the same thing next week.. I bought the dual 12" fox box and i will be putting two Alpine type R's in it due to lots of reviews and even Joe Fox himself has a crew cab 4th gen and he said hes tried lots of combos in these trucks but the type R's sound the best so far

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that everyone says that they sound good but if there is a better option out there then I would like to know. I'm trying to get as much bass possible in the small space I am given. Subs now and then mids and highs later. I wish someone had our trucks with systems already in it close to me. Also my audio shops are all about making money and not giving correct advice so it's all Internet to me. The only dealers I have available is a kicker, JL audio, and best buy for the alpine. I'm not a fan of doing anything audio related at best buy but I keep hearing good things about the alpine type r and thats the only place that has them. I will be ordering online to save money though. Save about $60 per sub and $400 on the amp.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any twelves that you put in a box that small are going to have limited bass, especially in the lower frequencies. There is just not enough room for a box that can do those speakers justice. You could build a custom box that is bigger and do a seat lift, which my buddy did in his 2009 Ram. He went through three boxes and speaker combos before he ripped it all out, glassed the floor and built a proper enclosure. It sounds pretty good, but still is no where near past systems that him or I have had in extended cab trucks where the back seats were removed for stereos. In fact he is planning of removing his back seat entirely now and building a larger box to hold a pair of 15s. I have always been a basshead so I can understand. If I didn't use my bed for work/hauling I would cut up the cab and do a blow through just to keep the back seats.

Have you listened to any similar setups yet? You really should check out what you can to see how you like the sound, everyone has different tastes for how they like their tunes. I had thought about JL 12s but now am leaning towards 10s in my QC because I will get an overall better sound from the limited airspace and I like my back seat just where it is. An installer I have dealt with many times for other systems agreed with me and said that he didn't like any of the twelves that he put in these types of installs. They just don't sound right to him, and when I listened to another truck in his shop with JL 10w3s I heard exactly what he meant. They just sounded clearer, more alive, is the best way I can describe it.

With that being said, I am sure that there are some 12s that may sound good to some people and it is the system that you will have to pay for and live with, but I think that you might be happier with some quality 10s, a good box/amp combo and some proper tuning.

Also, are you planning on doing any sound deadening? This will greatly improve the quality of your listening experience.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to alpha damp the back wall when I have my seats out to instal the fox acoustics box and work up a way to mount the amps behind there. Then I'll move to doors when I do my mids and highs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you're going to go with the Fox Box, then you can't ignore the comments of the owner. I got the same advice from him. Alpine Type Rs in the 2-12 vented. And yeah - he has a 4th Gen Ram and that's what he runs. He told me he has tried pretty much every sub out there (within reason) and that the inexpensive Type Rs blow the rest away. My view is that it is best to match the right sub and according to him, it's the Type Rs. I have had numerous discussions with him about this.

I'm stuck mid-install still waiting for my speakers but I'll be running JL HD amps and 2 Type Rs. I wish I could say how it sounds but I can't...yet.

PS - I have heard some say that the sub volume is too small for anything JL. Whatever you use, make sure to load up a couple of pounds of polyfill in there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't recommend polyfill for that type of enclosure either, its not needed.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I actually had a convo about the 2m2 subs today with Rusty... IF you have access to an Oscope or a DD1 to ensure clip free operation and can give them clean power, the M2s will take 1000 daily especially in a smaller box like those to help with cone control

DC ALL THE WAY! :D

but i am a little biased lol

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Also do not use polyfill.... it acts as an insulator and completely kills the subs cooling characteristics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another option a lot of people forget about is a blow-through. You can accommodate very large and multiple subs without sacrificing cabin space and sound quality or shear amounts of bass. If one is properly designed and implemented, there should be no worries on performance and security. Not to mention if you cut the holes cleanly, you can also just weld the piece back in and cover with a bed liner and it looks like you never did anything and doesn't hurt the bed or cab structurally. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Blow throughs are freaking awesome, but where are you going to put the port through to the cabin with adequte clearance with out removing a seat? At that point just take out the smaller section of the rear seat and build a big box there. I have a box there that is 7^3ft with room to grow if i needed it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts