DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What set up for best sounding and most bass?

• JL12w6v2 and HD1200

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Alpine type r 12 with PDX-M12

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Sundown audio SA12's with SAZ1200

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • DC audio Level 2m2 with DC audio 1.2k amp

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

Help me pick my system.

1929 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SS4Luck
I am having a hard time deciding on what subs and amp to put in my crew cab. I'm going with a dual vented 12 inch fox box and need help filling it.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Any twelves that you put in a box that small are going to have limited bass, especially in the lower frequencies. There is just not enough room for a box that can do those speakers justice. You could build a custom box that is bigger and do a seat lift, which my buddy did in his 2009 Ram. He went through three boxes and speaker combos before he ripped it all out, glassed the floor and built a proper enclosure. It sounds pretty good, but still is no where near past systems that him or I have had in extended cab trucks where the back seats were removed for stereos. In fact he is planning of removing his back seat entirely now and building a larger box to hold a pair of 15s. I have always been a basshead so I can understand. If I didn't use my bed for work/hauling I would cut up the cab and do a blow through just to keep the back seats.

Have you listened to any similar setups yet? You really should check out what you can to see how you like the sound, everyone has different tastes for how they like their tunes. I had thought about JL 12s but now am leaning towards 10s in my QC because I will get an overall better sound from the limited airspace and I like my back seat just where it is. An installer I have dealt with many times for other systems agreed with me and said that he didn't like any of the twelves that he put in these types of installs. They just don't sound right to him, and when I listened to another truck in his shop with JL 10w3s I heard exactly what he meant. They just sounded clearer, more alive, is the best way I can describe it.

With that being said, I am sure that there are some 12s that may sound good to some people and it is the system that you will have to pay for and live with, but I think that you might be happier with some quality 10s, a good box/amp combo and some proper tuning.

Also, are you planning on doing any sound deadening? This will greatly improve the quality of your listening experience.

· Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't recommend polyfill for that type of enclosure either, its not needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.