DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice here guys. I just bought a 2012 Ram R/T, and I'd like to know where to go with performance modifications, if any. I just came over from diesels and before that I had a '96 Ram 1500 SST. One the '96, I saw favorable results from the 5.9L with a CAI, Gibson cat-back, Edelbrock cat-forward shorty headers, a remapped computer from R/T Performance in Houston, under-drive pulleys and a Trans-go shift kit, probably got all the way to 250hp. Only the cat converter ever failed on that truck. And I couldn't stay in bumper to bumper traffic very long. Results yes, but not worth the money.

Anyway, now I've got the '12 with the Hemi...again. I'm seeing a 345 ci engine that makes close to 400 hp out of the box. It's got a smooth idle cam that's got a variable timing phaser, an intake that has valves on it to mimic both a long an shorter runners and 8 exhaust lifters that deactivate electrically. All this designed to work together for max fuel economy. Where the hell do I start? You can't change the cam because they don't make phaser cam yet (that I can find) and the intake is totally out of the question. What's available for new '12 Hemi? Long-tube headers, roller rockers, tuner? I know the old stand-by's of cat-back and CAI work, but they're only good for 15 hp combined at best. Can this new 6-spd tranny have shift kit hard parts installed or is it all done with electricity? Do I call and nag Comp or Crane to make a cam for this motor?

I wanting to do something that picks up my low-end torque a noticeable amount but doesn't hurt that 3,000 + rpm Hemi punch, and not make things worse than before I started. I mean 390 hp from 345 cubic inches and can idle....any muscle car man would be proud.

Any ideas or experience?????

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow alot to talk about, i put a intake on my 2012 5.7 and could notice a good difference. they dont make a tuner that will be compatible for our 2012s yet. that is a little insight that i have to offer hopefully more will post to answer your questions better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Intake? As in cold-air intake? What brand? The Mopar CAI looks cool and there will be no argument about warranty, but the price. I've always run K&N's with no problems, but I heard about the big fiasco with GM denying any Throttle Body claims on trucks with oiled filters. From my previous experience with Chrysler (my '02 Dakota R/T) they will also deny claims if given a chance, so I don't want to give them one. So far I'm thinking long-tube headers, Diablo tuner and straighten out the y-pipe in the system and maybe a muffler replacement. So much for the warranty right? A cam change would be nice but I think a torque converter that allows the engine to get closer to that 3500 rpm intake mark quicker is something to look at. Is the VVT and valves in the intake new for 2012? Any ideas about running these items? Go, bad, waste of money? Thanks as always for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts