DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light is on and my cruise control doesn't work. Somehow I think they are related because they both are in the steering wheel and connect to other stuff -- e.g. the cruise control buttons are on the wheel but go to the engine and the airbag is in the steering wheel but goes to the module control. However, my horn does work so not all of the electrical connections to the steering wheel are shot. I'm thinking clockspring or one of the connectors. Any suggestions how to diagnose and fix this one?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Brake switch down by the pedal defective?

Have you pulled off your steering wheel shroud to check individual wires? If you have a tilt wheel that can fray the odd wire.

Your horn working might be a good sign.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sounds like a "clockspring" issue. All symptoms point to this. Read this, it may not apply to you, but good info. http://repairpal.com/dodge-ram_2500-1998/recalls Go down a page or so. Or just replace it yourself. Not that hard, and under $100. Now you can trigger our rusted-out Dodge horns!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I replaced the clockspring and the cruise-control came back. But, the airbag light is STILL on -- wondering if i t needs to be turned off even though the fault has been fixed? OR, is there still a fault somewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know about airbag warranty? One person posted somewhwere that airbags are covered by an extended warranty and they will be fixed for free -- sounds too good to be true but -- if true they might be trying to keep from being sued if there is a crash. I found out that emmissions issues have an extended 10 year warranty under federal law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts