DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to with the 'search' function, firstly, I need to know what model year my truck is and want to know if there is an easy way of telling via the vin no. maybe?

I want to start doing some mods now (bigger tyres, lift or level kit, light bar & lights) and as there are no places in the UK to buy parts I really need to make sure I get the right parts first time as they'll be coming thousands of miles from the USA. My problem is that many websites seem to have different parts for the 09-10 model compared with the 2011 model.

I bought my truck brand new in January 2011 but I believe it was originally bound for Mexico before my importer here in the UK got it for me, I assume it is a 2010 model.

Another thing I need help with is if anyone has any pics of the underbody 'protection group' as it was specified on my truck but when looking under the truck, it doesn't look to me like it's there. I'd like to confirm what I should be looking for before I go back to the dealer so I don't end up looking stupid!

Thanks in advance for any help! Also, if anyone knows of a good parts supplier that delivers to the UK, let me know!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much, according to that site, my truck is a 2010 model year!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
thanks very much, according to that site, my truck is a 2010 model year!
Lucky you, you can buy a tuner! (None available for 2011 and newer years...)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
????? Please elaborate! ?????
There are tuners available for 2010 and older models, like the superchips and diablo sport tuners. They add hp and torque, and usually fuel economy. Also have some transmission options you can change like shift points, rev limiters, etc... Many other things as well like adjustment for different tire sizes and such. Do some research on them some don't like them as they fear warranty issues, but I'm not sure you'd have that issue there. Also, different tunes depend on different octane levels of fuel, I use a 93 octane superchips tune but 93 octane is at 99% of gas stations near me...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks, I could certainly do with better MPG! I'm averaging just under 10mpg (on a UK gallon which is 4.52 litres) and fuel here is £6.14/gallon so it works out about $1.00/mile!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Holy cow! I think they are putting water in your fuel or something lol. I think a US gallon is about 3.8 liters, and most people average just say 16 mpg which is pretty conservative. That means in the US most people get about 4.2 miles/liter, whereas you are getting about half of that at 2.2 miles/liter. Something seems wrong (hopefully it's not my math...)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Not only that but he seems to be getting about half the mpg as he should be as compared to a US vehicle...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking at his site, I think I know why he's getting 10MPG!
LOL, trouble is my daily commute is 3 miles each way in about 15-20 minutes because of traffic so I get about 8mpg, then I'll do a bit of motorway (freeway) where I'll get around 12-13mpg. Don't know what speeds you guys sit at but I sit at around 85mph, traffic permitting. I did a 2000 mile round trip to Northern Spain in the summer loaded with the family and far too much stuff and averaged just over 14mpg. :smileup:

I've also found that on a good run on the motorway, towing my track car only loses me about 1mpg which is quite good.

I think she averaged about 6mpg in this video: http://www.turbobungle.com/videos_5.html which I thought was pretty good considering! The lap time would have been better if I didn't have four people, fridge full of beer and a load of spares and tool boxes in the back! Brakes didn't last long either! :Racing:

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Cruising at 70 mph should give you MUCH better mpg, like close to 20 mpg. The short daily drive is killing you, but I don't think you're too concerned lol or you wouldn't have bought the truck with gas prices so high over there!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Snrusnak, I'm getting more and more concerned!! LPG conversion ordered as LPG only 55% of petrol price over here
I don't understand what this means...?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't understand what this means...?:4-dontknow:
LPG or Liquified Petroleum Gas, you can get it in gas bottles for all sorts of things, caravans, motorhomes, boats BBQs etc. You can also get a vehicle converted to run on it (not diesels). And as it's not taxed as heavily by our government (yet!) I can buy it for £0.73/litre instead of £1.36/litre for petrol.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
another way to check the year of truck that you have is on the left door towards the bottom, in the US & Canada that would be the drivers front door.
Here we have a sticker, on the bottom of that sticker it will read

VIN & 17 digits, then something like L4-VON & 4 digits then something like 1015 (the 1015 in this case would mean October 15th)
so it will look like this

VIN: 1D3-HB18T99S-****** L4-VON: 3752 1015

they make each vehicles year from sometime in July to June of the next year

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cruising at 70 mph should give you MUCH better mpg, like close to 20 mpg. The short daily drive is killing you, but I don't think you're too concerned lol or you wouldn't have bought the truck with gas prices so high over there!
Ummmm. 20mpg? Maybe with a 2wd with stock tires and no passengers or load with zero headwind and ??? I've never seen better than barely 16 mpg @ 70, with everything aformentioned except 4x4 and my oversized tires. yes, yes, yes, hand calc AND computer confirmed.
As for the rest of the statement I 100% agree! ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts