DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new to RamForumz and i know its bad taste for my first post to be asking for help but im currently stuck up $hit creek and seem to have misplaced my paddle. so any assistance would be greatly appreciated

to start let me explain the situation. i have a 1994 dodge ram 5.9L 4x4

i was driving down the road and it started to make a nasty ticking sound whenever i was hitting the gas and then it started spewing white smoke out the exhaust and died running down the road. after about 30 minutes of letting it cool down i got it started back up again and got it back on base (im military) i came to the conclusion that the water pump was bad and replaced it. i put in a new tensioner pulley, new water pump, completely flushed the radiator and coolant lines, put on a new serpentine belt, and new spark plugs. now before i started this project the truck would run but ran rough.

after i replaced all the parts listed above i could no longer get the truck to start. when i turn the key the motor turns over and there is a prominent smell of fuel however there is NO spark

i made sure of this by pulling out a spark plug and putting it in the wire and having a friend hold the tip while i turned the key and there was NO spark. so i installed a new rotor, new plug wires, new ignition coil and still nothing

next step i picked up a volt meter.. my battery was fine but there was not power getting to the ignition coil. checked the fuse box for the ignition and ignition acc and both are getting power.

the only thing left that i can think of is there has to be bad, pinched, or shorted wire somewhere between the fuse box-the ignition-and the ignition coil

does anyone have any idea what could be wrong??

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Did you try testing the coil wires at the plug? I'm sure you noticed the sharp angle at which the plugs go into the coil. Try testing the wire a couple of inches in to see if the plug is bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the first post being one looking for help...not too many people go online to look for something that's not wrong.

Happy to see you wound up here. Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just one more thing take your time and go thru every wire and make sure it is connected.. you may have dislodged something when you were into getting everything changed out.. good luck,, know what it's like trying to work on a car/truck out in the barracks parking lot.. been there myself

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I changed my water pump recently as well and it is very easy to accidently pull a wire without really noticing if you were working in the tight confinements as I did all from the top without removing the radiator and all that stuff, even if you did its still possible to accidently pull/pinch/cut or break a wire. Just use your test meter as Warlock stated and work your way back from the coil plug... if theres power at the coil then its something with the coil, also check all your grounds... some vehicles have several grounds for different reasons, all it takes is one bad connection to screw your world up...lol as stated above, just take your time and you will find the issue. Disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes and retry, sometimes you just need to reset the ECM as well for some strange reason they tend to get a glitch sometimes when being worked on, that way all the codes are cleared and you can start over fresh... You might want to rent a code reader from a local autoparts store ( usually free ) to check for codes before and after, so you get a fresh start.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but white smoke out the exhaust usually means a blown head gasket or cracked head. You might want to do a compression test.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but white smoke out the exhaust usually means a blown head gasket or cracked head. You might want to do a compression test.
^^I avoided saying that intentionally^^ better you than me

I was going to mention for him to pull the plugs and check for corrosion, and what does the oil look like, and condensation on the fill cap?

·
Registered
73 Posts
So condensation on the oil fill cap is bad?
I had to fill my resevior a little the other day, check the oil today and she's down a quart or so after 3100k and i got condensation on the oil cap!
Do i have a leaking head gasket? is it commen on an 08 hemi? Hard to replace?
I dont have a warrenty and she's got 68k
Thanks

opps this is 5.9 specific...

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
A small amount is relatively common and just standard condensation...white foamy like build-up is mostly bad.

Oops, I answered your question anyway. :LOL:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unfortunately im already aware of the possibility of a cracked head or blown gasket. i did a full coolant flush and ran a bottle of head sealant through.

i got my voltmeter out and started testing, there is NO power getting to the wires that lead into the plug. so i tested the battery. good. i tested the fuse box for ignition and ignition acc and there was power going to both tabs for the fuses.

i traced the wires back from the ignition coil to the multiwire plug thats on the firewall(1 of 3) and there is no power coming from or going into either side of this plug. which only leaves from the fuse box to the ignition, ignition to the plug.

i read something about an Electronic Spark Control Module
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...+Control+Module&targetPage=productInformation
could this be causing my problem?

and how do you reset your ecm?

i picked up a chilton Manual for my truck and ive been browing through it trying to fix my beast on my days off. but still no luck.

beeing on a small island in the middle of nowhere doesnt help, and yes working on a vehicle in the barracks parking lot sucks lol

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Automatics are supposed to start in neutral. If there's an issue in the column it might help you detect it, or it may possibly be something in the neutral safety switch.

It's not supposed to start in gear, but it should be able to start in neutral or park.

Did I really have to just say that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts