DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 96 Ram 1500 4wd with a superlift 5inch suppension and 3inch body.... truck was neglected for 2 years andim trying to make it safe to drive daily. The truck is a pure nightmare to drive. I've checked the stabilizer and it appears to be fine I also tightened up the steeringbox which helped alot, also I tightenend the track bar bracket which was disturbingly loose. The truck is still a nightmare to drive constantly fighting to keep it between the ditches literally. I'm simply out of ideas on this truck. PLEASE HELP!!!! btw truck is running 35x12.50r15 bfg ATs if that makes a difference

·
Registered
65 Posts
this could be a number of things. possibly the pitman arm is bad, tie rod ends worn out, track bar bushings are verycommon to wear out esspecially if its lifted. check out all the connections on the steering link as well. (the link that goes from the steering wheel to the gear box.) bad ball joints would make it unbearable to controle as well. your best bet is gunna be the most expensive. replace all the steering linkages, pitman arm, steering damper, balljoints and all! might even want to switch out the brakes as well since your already gunna have them off. i plan on doing the same thing to mine. ive been checking prices and so far if i order all the parts off amazon.com im gunna save about 600 bucks. and i can get 2 day shipping. (btw, all the parts i got prices on were MOOG parts.) hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already replaced the balljoints and tie rod as well with heavy duty Moog -- commercial grade units. Didn't think about the track bar bushings but I also just ordered new radius arm bushings from superlift. You can get the Moog commercial grade at advance auto parts BUT you have to go old school and look them up in the paper catalogs and call Moog ( federal mogul) directly takes about 7 days to get in. These things will put up to insane abuse I used them on my old jeep wj and I couldn't bust them and i tried. Only reason i know about the commercial line is I used to work at advanced as commercial parts pro.if you can get them to look up the numbers and order them it would be a miracle. Thanks for the insight bro and good luck on u ram. My 1000 dollars truck is turning into a big money pit lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow man thats cool. yea i kinda got lucky when i bought mine. it had 139000 miles on it when i bought it and it was owned by a preacher so he never abused it. he didnt even drive it in the winter that much. only problem i have is that after i bought it, (im pretty rough on it) none of the front ends parts have ever been changed so they are going out fast. one thing i heard about with the track bar is something called a "lukes link". im not sure the pupose of it but i know it stregthens the track bar. go online and look it up. that might be a possible cause of the unbearable steering. hope everything works out for you too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine from a woman who loved the truck but stopped driving it because it supposedly blown motor. But all that was wrong with it was condensation in exhaust line!!! The story gets better she put a brand new Mopar Performance 360 crate engine, and brand new monster transmission both will full warranty and paperwork less than 400 miles on both. Not to mention its lifted 9 inches, 35s and some cosmetic upgrades. Sadly it needs to be painted. I only paid $1000 dollars for it lol. So far I have about $400 in it, redid the headliner in blue camo, new CD payer, new speakers,and I need a dash pad; I've read that they are notorious for crackimg in 200 pieces. Any who good luck on urs dude I'm jealous that u can drive urs and i can't yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts