DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive seen some of the other threads...but my issue seems different...just got truck couple months ago...it now has just over 100k miles...about 500 miles ago I did a full synthetic oil change ( hemi tick) @ walmart...i normally do my oil and wife's...but I was there and said f it...just checked it and I was almost off the dipstick...it took every bit of 5 more quarts to fill...maybe wallmart messed up? Or its burning it...every once in a while I see a puff of blue smoke..(it's not all the time).so naturally I'm thinking guides or rings are bad...no oil in radiator...runs great..no known issues...checked pc valve it's still good...but only checked 2 plugs for oil...and were clean...not saying the others could not b trashed but looked for general idea of why so low on oil.. Now that it has my full attention...will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks to see whats really going on. Penny for your thoughts?

·
Registered
709 Posts
If I read this right, oil was just touching the dip stick and it took 5 Qt to get it up to level? That sounds extreme. Should only be like what 5 maybe 6qt total fill? According to MOPAR a qt in that 500 miles is OK (not in my book but). Keep a watch on it and let us know. Some have complained about PCV I guess and put some kind of catch can gizmo on them. Do you do a lot of highway type driving?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I read this right, oil was just touching the dip stick and it took 5 Qt to get it up to level? That sounds extreme. Should only be like what 5 maybe 6qt total fill? According to MOPAR a qt in that 500 miles is OK (not in my book but). Keep a watch on it and let us know. Some have complained about PCV I guess and put some kind of catch can gizmo on them. Do you do a lot of highway type driving?
I will keep a eye on it...its a super odd situation...and thanks for reply btw...and no I'm litteraly 5 miles from work...at best I pull my rzr 30 miles to go ride on weekends...pcv valve shakes ok...can only imagine its still good...like I say ive had it maybe 3 months has fresh oil change...at best ive seen a puff of blue smoke...ive tried romp n on it after that to get it to do it again...watch it idel at home and no smoke..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alittle update...so far I've noticed it's only burning oil when I tow my rzr..I am running a full synthetic penzoil 5/20 should I not run a full synthetic and not penzoil? I am scheduled to dodge on Wednesday for a leakdown test... wondering if I should try new oil first or go to dodge..thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now I'm even more baffled! Had compression test done..and come out good..pcv valve has been replaced and new oil...still burning oil...so it's going back to the shop Monday...any ideas? Could it be valve seals or guides?

·
Registered
709 Posts
OK there was another thread on here and I looked up the FCA Bulliten 1 qt in 200 miles is allowable. Blue smoke oil, white indicates moisture (coolant) Smoke on take off after say sitting at a stop light is indication of valve seals. Smoke under acceleration is rings. How many miles on vehicle? May be sticky rings, and occasionally you can run a can of Sea Foam before an oil change and it will loosen the gunk up and free the rings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply...no smoke on take off or at idle...this happens after coasting down hill then throttle up..and it's blue smoke...in maybe 1000k miles I burnt through 5 qrts...I'm leaning towards valve guides and seal myself...there is only 101k miles on it...she runs fantastic other than this....let it be noted this truck come out of Canada it belonged to an oil mining co....could there b some crusties in there..

·
Registered
709 Posts
So on my 2500 in the evic it has a page for engine hours. If you can find that maybe see how many hours? I know here in Fla we have mines and trucks idle for hours and hours and go nowhere. It does tend to wear guides. If you had tools changing out seals shouldnt be to hard and see if that fixes it.
Funny you say ists only after going down hill it puffs not on take off. Makes me think PCV systems

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all thank you to everyone with there reoplies...Ok I'm in need of some serious help! Just paid $975 to replace the valve guide seals.... compression test was good...does not smoke on start up...or around town just after a long coast down hill....put around 70 miles on it since seals replaced... Still seems to smoke... ugh..do tired of stressing over this

·
Registered
709 Posts
Still thinking under the higher vacuum of coasting it is sucking oil into intake system and then has the oil burn off when you get back on gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I fix that? I have replaced pcv valve...or so they say...even the old one shook n rattled

1 - 13 of 13 Posts