DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, my 318 overheated and the heads cracked, which made me begin a rebuild from the heads up. The rebuild is done, and this thing runs real rough and the entire truck wobbles back and forth. Why? And what do I do?

Here is what I have done...

Replaced heads with reconditioned heads with fresh valve job, new paint, new gaskets, and torqued to specs. Reinstalled the rods and rockers in their original locations.

Had intake baked, new paint, new gaskets, and torqued to specs.

Had exhausted manifolds baked, new paint, new gaskets, and torqued to specs.

Carb was replaced before the rebuild, so I just bolted it back on.

Reused the plugs and wires as they were also relatively new.

The distributor was never removed or even touched since the 318 intake comes out without needing to removing it. So the timing should be fine.

I reinstalled everything according to specs and the photos I took all along the way. All new fluids. Reconnected all vacuum lines. Installed spark plugs according to my Chiltons manual.

Started it last night and it was crazy rough, rocking back and forth, and would not idle at all without my foot in the gas...I eventually flooded the carb, so I gave up for the evening.

So, tonight I am going to make sure I connected the plug wires in the proper order and I will make sure each end of the wire has good connection with the plug and the distributor cap. ...other than that I dont know what else to do. Like I said, other than removing the wires, the distributor was never touched so I suspect the timing is fine...right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
If you didn't touch the front of the motor (Chain/Gears) or the Dist, I don't think your issue has to do with the timing.

It does sound like you may have a misfire though.

#1 cyl should be marked on the cap and the firing order is 1-8-4-2-6-5-7-2.

Pass side of the engine is 2-4-6-8, and driver's side is 1-3-5-7.

Go over the wiring first and then get back to the forum.

Valves...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Agreed first thing is to make sure the wires are in the right order and making good contact. All the jostling to get the intake out, make sure you didn't bump the dist. cap off center a bit. Kinda sounds like a vacuum leak. Make sure all those vacuum lines and caps are okay. Of note, check that vacuum tee towards the back of the intake on the driver side. They're easily damage and it might've lost a limb without even being noticed as there's usually a couple not used.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I got it running and idling very well over the weekend. The problem was that I didn't push the plug wire far enough down into the dist. cap, so they didn't have good contact. I also had to turn the idle up a bit from where it was before the build, which I thought was odd.

New problem, I drove it around my neighborhood yesterday, and it runs well. However, when I got back I noticed a very light white smoke coming from the engine compartment, and it looks like it is concentrated on the driver side exhaust manifold...I figure an exhaust leak from the flange. Could it also be the paint buring off the exhaust manifolds?

Any other ideas on the source of the light white smoke? It doesn't smell like oil or coolant...

·
Registered
17 Posts
It could be the paint burning off the manifolds, or even the heads and intake if you painted them as well. If there is white smoke in the exhaust tail pipe it is normal until it warms up. If continues, coolant does also cause white smoke. Check to make sure you dont have a loose fittings on the cooling passages in heads and intake. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The exhaust manifolds are all good now, as all the paint has burned off, so no more smoking.

New problem! I noticed a very slight leak from between the heads and the block on both the passenger and driver side near the firewall. It is literally right in the corner of each, and just a drip here and there will come out after running. I dont understand how, I used the gaskets that didnt need sealer, and I torqued to specs. Could the cold weather have anything to do with it? Should I just run/drive the truck a bit to see if they close up?

I do know that there is no way I am taking this thing back apart! The wife wont have it lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts