DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,
I'm really new to this type of mod but am looking to learn a lot. Here's my delima: It's time to replace my our suspension on our truck. Everything (suspension wise) is stock with over 80K miles and needs some TLC. The leaf springs are starting to bow downward/lay flat and the truck is just riding rougher. Because I need to replace the leaf springs & the shocks, I was considering just doing a lift kit and calling it good. I have right around $1200 to get it all and I know I want Bilstein 5100 shocks for front and rear to help smooth out the ride and give better handling. My questions are
1. I wanted coilovers, but was told without a good bit of modding it's not possible. Are the 5100s just as good?
2.What lift kits are good to go with? We (my wife & I) only want about a 2-2.5" lift so we can still pull it in the garage plus putting our 1 yr old in the carseat is already a thing with stock height...lol.
3. Are there any "complete" lift kits (including leaf springs) for around that price? I couldn't find any, but I'm not sure how to search for that either.
4. If no complete kits, what would you guys suggest as far as brand of leaf springs with the 5100 shocks?
So far I've spent about 3-4hrs trying to find the best quality and stay within budget. I'm excited about returning from deployment to get them installed before we go on our trip to Colorado for the Tough Mudder! Thanks for your time and help. Have a great day and God Bless.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thats really odd that you would be having suspension issues with that new of a truck and that low of miles. The only thing that should need replacing are the shocks.
If you are only looking for about 2" I would just crank your torsion bars to level the truck out (2" there). It will ride a little stiffer, but it's free. You could add an add-a-leaf to the rear, but I believe that it will raise the rear about an 1" give or take a little. If you did that along with cranking the torsion bars you would still have a rake of about 1". If you are happy with that, I would take a chunk of the remaining money and invest in some good shocks to help improve the ride.
Another thing to consider is if you lift the truck a few inches you are going to want to buy larger tires otherwise they stock wheels will look small. larger tires will also increase the ride height, so that might prevent you from getting into the garage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know...When we bought the truck in 2006 it was a heavy working farm truck. I never thought about the torsion bars...would it be good to get some aftermarket ones like topguncustomz?
Also, I forgot to mention that I have aftermarket rims on it :smileup: ...can't remember for the life of me either...thinking 17x9s (?) with nitto terra grapplers, was a great deal...new tires, racing wheels, and lifetime rotate/balance for $1100 last year. That gave it about another 1/2" lift so the most we want is 2.5" from that, maybe just 2".
Would I need to replace the leafs completely or could I get some helper springs like this: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/61901-ram-1500.html ? I'm not thinking the add-a-leaf would be enough since they are worn down so much.
Thanks NWRQC for the info...I have a few more months till I get back home to try it. ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
The torsion bars should be fine, just crank them up via the adjuster bolts. You can easily get 2" out of them, a lot of people do it that way when they want to level their truck out.
The helper springs look like they are just to assist the stock springs and don't look like they would help you in your situation since your springs are sagging. The Add-a-leaf would put the arch back into your stock springs, and then some.
Aside from that I think the other best choice would be to buy some new (or used) rear leaf springs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so after looking for a while I also found Superlift Monotube Shocks (SS). http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_shocks_Superlift.htm I was thinking about getting these instead of the regular Bilstein 5100s...SS are still made by Bilstein but seems better. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm going to try to call the company tomorrow as well but wanted to know from someone who has them or had them. For the leaf springs I am looking at the these...don't need 5" springs though...http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/index.htm?stocknumber=DR250S+SK . Does anyone know where I can get these in factory height? I think factory height is 2.5 inches? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sweet! Would it be safer to do this or just buy new/used ones that are specifically for the 2" lift (or leveling) like these torsion bar keys: http://www.tuffcountry.com/dodge-ram-leveling-kits.html?
Personally I would save the money and use the stock ones. The aftermarket ones are just indexed to allow you to crank the torsion bars further. You can get 2" out of the factory keys and you really don't want to go much past that otherwise you will have a really stiff ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
naa

Dont need all that crap.... ur truck is pretty new. I bought mine off a farmer as well. an 03 2500. Just bought a 6" tuff country kit. complete. get the good shocks.

you can get a 2" kit from them as well, im sure its about $300 from suspension connection. just remember, just because you see it for sale, doesnt mean you have to buy it. save money for the tuff mudder. expensive. i live in denver, see you up there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dont need all that crap.... ur truck is pretty new. I bought mine off a farmer as well. an 03 2500. Just bought a 6" tuff country kit. complete. get the good shocks.

you can get a 2" kit from them as well, im sure its about $300 from suspension connection. just remember, just because you see it for sale, doesnt mean you have to buy it. save money for the tuff mudder. expensive. i live in denver, see you up there.
oh and it rides beautifully, better than my buddys brand new titan. if your not rally racing your truck, bilstein is a TREMENDOUS waste of money.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I would save the money and use the stock ones. The aftermarket ones are just indexed to allow you to crank the torsion bars further. You can get 2" out of the factory keys and you really don't want to go much past that otherwise you will have a really stiff ride.
OK cool, That sounds like the best route to go, using the stock keys. Thanks for your help so far!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh and it rides beautifully, better than my buddys brand new titan. if your not rally racing your truck, bilstein is a TREMENDOUS waste of money.
Man, that's kind of a let down...Everything that I've heard/read has said these are the ones to get. What's your opinion on which ones to get? I sent an email to tuffcountry to see what they could do for me with springs and shocks so we'll see what they have to offer. Do you have the TC shocks that came w/ your lift kit?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, after looking for hours on end and calling numerous companies I think I found the best deals. I'm only wanting to level it out now instead of going with a lift kit. It's a little cheaper and till I find someone local that knows exactly what's going on and how to customize the truck the way we want it then I'll just stick with what I know will work for now. I found new stock height leaf springs for $139.95 ea from SdTruckSprings.com as well as the Bilstein 5100 part # F4-BE5-6681-H8 (front) & F4-BE5-6682-H7 (rear) for $76.95 ea. That puts me just under half of what we are budgeting...YES! Also, I found some new shocks from Rancho, the RS9000XL series. They look really well built and have good reviews on other forums. The specific ones I'm looking at are these model #s: RS999282 (front) & RS999274 (rear). I can get these for $99.70 ea from a dealer off ebay here...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rancho-RS90...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2319c34bb2 SO....the question is what are the pros/cons of going with Rancho 9000XL series over the Bilstein 5100s besides price? Seems to me that the Ranchos can do a lot more and only a little bit higher cost. Both have a lifetime warranty as well so we are happy about that. Any takers on what would be the best route?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was informed of the Bilstein 5100's not being able to work on our '05 1500's.. but if you do find a way to make them work without some serious modifications then let me know because I will definitely grab a set up throw them onto my front end and then add-a-leaf the back a little to pick it up some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was informed of the Bilstein 5100's not being able to work on our '05 1500's.. but if you do find a way to make them work without some serious modifications then let me know because I will definitely grab a set up throw them onto my front end and then add-a-leaf the back a little to pick it up some.
Yeah that's what I heard too...I'm going to have to call back to make sure he didn't mis-speak about it. I will also try to call Bilstein direct in the next couple of days to see what they suggest or if there is a new model of 5100s(?) available. If that is the case, has anyone had any experience with the Rancho RS9000XL shocks yet or any recommendations?
OH, almost forgot. When I level out the truck in the front end using the stock torsion keys, will that cause the truck to vibrate while going down the highway? Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts