DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Against my better judgement I tried to install my recently received BD tuner tonight and it locked up my Ram's computer. First thing I did was put the micro-SD card into my computer and update it via the Update Agent. It seemed to go OK and it told me that it updated and to install my tuner into my Ram to finish the update. I looked at the software version and it said it was A016. Knowing that version A019 was out I installed it instead since I wanted to minimize the flashes to my Rams computer and I wanted to be sure I was starting with the latest version. I selected the option to install 2013 Ram Hemi and started the update on my Ram. About 10 minutes in it crashed and said a file was corrupt and that it needed to be reset to stock. I followed the prompts to attempt to return to stock even though I didn't think it got to the part where it actually was writing to my Ram since I never got to the options to select power setting, tire size, and everything else. It crashed while attempting to return to stock and now my tune ways "Dodge Recovery" under status. According to BD's website it says to update my tuner again so I tried that. Now as soon as I plug the micro-SD card in the update agent says that I need to update my tuner. Every time I try it says it is downloading the update, however when it finishes it says my version/serial is 0000000000000 .0.0.0. No matter how many times I repeat it the result is the same.

Now the problem I am having with my Ram is when I turn the ignition to Run (push button start) my red security light flashes and then I get a warning message to Service Air Suspension, Service Electronic Brake System and Service Trailer Brake. If I try and start it I just get a click with no attempt to start. The red security light continues to flash. I've tried both keys. If I try remote start, it beeps the horn, locks the door and then nothing.

Unfortunately, Bullydog doesn't work weekends and my next day off is Wednesday. I really would rather not have to wait until Wednesday to get this resolved so I am hoping that someone here might have ran into a similar situation and has some advise. I have a feeling this will end up being a tow to the dealer to get my PCM corrected which is about 5 miles away. Not knowing the state my PCM is in, I don't know how much evidence was left. I'm pretty sure the dealer will know I attempted to do something though. I'm going to disconnect my battery tomorrow but doubt if that will help anything but it's my last idea. When I connect my tuner to my Ram, it now gets stuck on "Initializing communication" and nothing happens. Does anyone have any information that might help?

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I doubt it's the update version, mine has the A016 tune installed although A019 was the latest, Did the battery idea work? Good Luck man!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
The first thing I learned in Computers is never perform updates to anything unless the support for that said product is available, at least 5 out of 10 firmware/software updates end up in corruption. That being said this does not help you any right now. Usually what would happen at this point bully dog support would take control of your system, clear down your tuner, update it to the latest software then download from there archives your ECU's latest Info. You would then proceed to the truck and install that Info into the ECU and your truck would be back to its original default settings. Then they would help you install the new tune. Now, I have never heard of a corruption like this before. I am sure your not the first, but its the first time I have heard anyone get what your getting. I am not sure there is anything you can do till you either talk to BD support to get you back up and running or get the truck to the dealer to have your ECU reprogrammed. What would you tell the dealer, just came out to start truck and this is what I got? don't know. I don't think that pulling the battery for 15 - 20 min would help since its a corruption, but who knows, apart from that sorry you ran into this issue, sorry I could not find anything to help you get back up and running, sure sucks, hope you find something or someone thinks of something that can help.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I downloaded the A019 from the Bully Dog tune thread. That's the one I had on my tuner when I connected it to my Ram. As suspected, disconnecting the battery didn't help. All it did was make my radio say "Radio Locked, Please Start Vehicle".

It would make me feel a lot better if Bully Dog has an ECU program for a 2013 Ram with 8-speed. I'm not sure it would help though since my Bully Dog won't communicate with my Ram. I'm not sure which one is the problem. I was able to connect my Bluetooth OBD II scanner to my Ram and got a code U0100 (Network Communication - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"). I tried clearing it. It said it was cleared but the error returned on the next scan. At least it appears that my Ram can still talk through the OBD port so all hope is not lost. I want to avoid going to my dealer at all costs. I can see them telling me I fried my ECM/PCM and it can't be reloaded and trying to charge me for a new ECM/PCM. They have absolutely no interest in keeping me as a repeat customer even after writing them a check for almost $54,000.

Every time I go back out to my Ram I see a new error on the EVIC. Now I'm getting Fuel In Fuel Filter, Drain Fuel tank and Airbag System Fault Detected. I'll have to contact Bully Dog on Wednesday since that is my next day off. I don't really need my Ram since I have a company vehicle and only use it for pleasure but right now I'm not getting any pleasure by driving it :(

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hello Explorer Rob. Just wanted to ask you about a step in the update procedure. So after you removed your SIM Card from your computer, you then installed it into your tuner. From here, you plugged in to your truck and then from the menu, did you first toggle all the way to the bottom to "Update GT" first prior to installing tune? Just making sure because BD recommends you do this at least twice before installing the tune. This procedure is when the screen clicks and goes black for a couple secs. If you already did this then I am sorry this has dampened your weekend bud.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Another trick in addition to the one above is to pull the push button and use the actual key fob, this is what many of our charger/challenger customers are having to do with their Trinity's to get them to flash properly.

Let us know how you come out.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Another trick in addition to the one above is to pull the push button and use the actual key fob, this is what many of our charger/challenger customers are having to do with their Trinity's to get them to flash properly.

Let us know how you come out.

Thanks
Good idea, nice info :smileup: reps for that one

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Good idea, nice info :smileup: reps for that one
When he said "Push Button" I was thinking to myself if the trucks are any similar to the cars when using the tuners that is likely not going to work I have only read 1 or 2 reviews where people were able to use the push button and get the vehicle to flash properly the rest of them have had to pull the push button and use the key fob, so figured I'd pop in and say something :) the more info out there on the net for everyone the better :)

In addition to that I was speaking with tech support (I do not remember if it was Diablo Sport or Bully Dog) however one of them had recommended to me that we instruct all of our customers who are having issues flashing their vehicle and have a push button to pull the push button and use the key fob

Thanks for the reps Asur!

Thanks
Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what you mean to pull the push button and use the key fob. If you are talking about the hidden key inside the fob, there is no place to us it inside. The only places it will fit in is my doors, ramboxes, tailgate and bed extender. If the battery dies in the key fob, it is used to push the button which will then allow it to start (I did try that though). But, there is no key hole behind the start button if that is what you were alluding to.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, our buttons are not made to remove. Instead when our remote battery dies, there is a sensor in the button area that senses when you push the button with the tip of the fob and will allow the 2013 Ram to start. There is a metal key hidden in the Fob that is used to open the door when the Fob dies.

I thought I might be making ground but unfortunately not much. When I try to install application, it tells me that my Bully Dog is in recovery mode and it needs to be set back to stock. It has me go through the Install Application again but when it gets to a file D1110S.GTG it says the file is corrupt and give me an error 009.

The next thing I tried was erasing the SD card and then rerunning the A019 tune again to reprogram the card. This at least allowed the Update Agent to let me choose that it is a Bully Dog GT for Hemi and then let me choose the application for a 2013 Ram Hemi. It now shows the correct version when I start Update Agent again. I then went to my Ram to try things again, but it stopped telling me that no Stock file could be found and to go back to the Update Agent to get it. I tried that but every time I start Update Agent it asks me to select the device and to choose an application even though I just did it. I sure hope Bully Dog has a 2013 Ram Hemi 8-speed Stock File that they can send me that will get things going. I still don't know if it will work since my tuner will not communicate with my Ram anymore. Maybe it is, but when I plug it in and push the button to Run, it stays on "Initializing Communication" until I press the menu button and try and Install Download. It would stay on "Initializing Communication" until my battery died if I let it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar issue. Mine happened on Monday night at about 7:30PM. I had to wait until Tuesday morning. In the mean time I hatd to have the truck towed via AAA to the dealer. On Tuesday, I emailed [email protected] and right at 10am I ewas contacted by BD support. They were great. I got my tuner at noon and called back. Travis updtaed the software and put a special return to stock set of file on my tuner. At about 3:30 I reconnected the BullyDog to the truck, called Travis , and within 20 minutes had me working again. Travis was great! Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I had a similar issue. Mine happened on Monday night at about 7:30PM. I had to wait until Tuesday morning. In the mean time I hatd to have the truck towed via AAA to the dealer. On Tuesday, I emailed [email protected] and right at 10am I ewas contacted by BD support. They were great. I got my tuner at noon and called back. Travis updtaed the software and put a special return to stock set of file on my tuner. At about 3:30 I reconnected the BullyDog to the truck, called Travis , and within 20 minutes had me working again. Travis was great! Good Luck!
I have delt with Travis before, he's a great guy, knows his stuff. :smileup:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Did the dealer have to do anything? In other words, would you have been able to do it in your driveway?
From what you have explained I get this feeling you will be up and running once you talk with BD support, I think they will clear down your Tuner, install the stock software for your truck and then have you upload it, then you should be good and your truck running, then you will be able to install the tune. Best of luck, keep up posted oh what happens. :smileup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would stay away from the dealer and let BD fix their problem. Just my 2 cents. You just need to get on the phone with a tech and let them work it out.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, going to the dealer is the last thing I want to do. I plan on calling BD Wednesday when I'm off and have access to my Ram and Internet during BD's working hours.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mandy at Bully Dog came through. It took over 2 hours on the phone but they were able to reinitialize my tuner and after probably 10 attempts, they had me disconnect the battery and touch the cables together for 10 seconds. After that last step, my Ram finally started responding to the tuner and let it complete. My Ram is now running again with the tune and without ever going to the dealer. I haven't driven it yet but I do expect it to drive odd for a bit since I cleared all of the learned features.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts