DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Total newbie here, so I will say thank you in advance. I just bought a 2017 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel 4x4. I am planning to add the leveling kit.

I am a bit confused by the offsets. I do know what an offset is and what it means, but I can not figure out what is going to get me to my goal.

I currently have the sport kit with the black 20" wheels. I am looking for a more aggressive stance. The goal is to have the wheels and tires flush with the fender flares, or just very slightly out. I do have the small factory fender flares.

I was looking at the wheels and studying pics. Some of the trucks have a -24mm offset and they stick out a lot, others state a -24mm offset and they are flush...I am not sure why they differ.

I am looking at the Nitto Ridge Grappler, 35/12.5x20. I also like the XD 822 Monster, they have a -24 offset.

Any advice?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,279 Posts
According to wheelsize.com, the OEM 20" wheels on a 2017 2500 with the CTD are;
8J 20 ET55
So that's an 8" wide rim with a +55 offset.
Is that what you have currently?

Going to a -24mm offset would bring each wheel out by 79mm, which is 3.11".
That's assuming an 8" wide rim, which would be unlikely in an aftermarket rim.
If you go to an 8.5" rim (staying with -24 offset) you'd get an additional 0.25" of outset on each wheel.
With a 9"rim you'd get an additional 0.5" of outset, and so on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 9thousandfeet,

Thank you for the reply. What you are saying is in line with what I was thinking. Where my confusion comes in is I can see a picture where the wheels are sticking out and they list +24, and another that will list -24, and they look the same. I have seen this on multiple different trucks pics with similar looks. Some of them will list a different "backspacing" which I assumed was simply the offset from the inside lip of the rim. Is "Backspacing" something different?

Maybe they are using spacers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,279 Posts
Yeah, it can all get a little confusing; Offset is the distance between the center of the wheel rim and the mounting (contact) surface of the hub.
Backspace is the distance between the inner surface of the wheel rim and that mounting surface.
Frontspace is the distance between the outer rim and the mounting surface.

All other things being equal a wheel with -24 offset will have an backspace (and a frontspace) 48 mm outboard of a wheel with a 24mm offset. The backspace and frontspace will differ only if the wheel rim width differs.

As for the photos you're seeing, I can't explain what's happening there. They could be using spacers and not telling you, or there could be typos which are omitting the "-" sign before the 24. Who knows?

Here's an online calculator for wheel/tire sizes which you may find helpful to visualize what happens when you change wheel/tire specs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As 9 Thousandfeet said, Go to tiresize.com. they have comparison options you can look at and you can plug in offsets and tires as well as wheel size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts