DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I got a set of brand new smoked housing headlights super cheap off craigslist so that frees up my stock headlights for me to start a retrofit hid setup.

I've never done this before, but I am fairly certain I can pull it off because I've been researching the kits on morimotohid.com and they seem plug and play (wire wise) so other than mounting the projectors and plugging in all the wires it should be easy.

My question is, what I'm going to list below, is this EVERYTHING I need to retrofit these HID's into my truck?

- Morimoto HID Kit: http://www.morimotohid.com/hid-systems/9008-h13-morimoto-elite.html

- Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors: http://www.morimotohid.com/components/projectors/bi-xenon-mini-h1-7-0-projectors.html

Another question, I have a 2006 ram 1500, do I need the MotoControl Bi-Xenon H13/9008 or the CanBus Bi-Xenon H13/9008 setup?

Also, do I need the 35w Ballast or the 50w Ballast?

Do I need anything else to make this work besides the 2 links above, The HID Kit, Mini H1 Projectors and a set of Stock Headlights housings? If so, what else do I need.

Also, with the Morimoto kit above, everything is plug and play besides running the one power wire to the battery, correct?

Thanks in advance, as this is new territory I'm entering and I just want to make sure I order everything I'm going to need before I start putting this retrofit together. Thanks in advance for any help you reply with!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You need the CanBus system.

A 35W ballast works fine. 50W can get a bit hot and some folks have reported housing issues, i.e., melting so stick with the 35W units.

You need the CanBus wiring harness but I believe it's included with the HID kit. I'd call to make sure because without the right harness and some resistance at the passenger side headlight, things will start flickering.

Other than that, just some hand tools and some basic knowledge of how to plug things together is all you need.

Last thing to keep in mind...polarity. If the system doesn't power on the first time you turn it on, check the position of the plugs into the ballast. They may need to be reversed...in other words...rotated to go in the other way.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Limited CTD
1,532 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track. If you want to save a bit of money you could avoid buying the "elite" HID kit that comes with harnesses etc. Just buy the ballasts and buy some cheap ebay anti-flicker canbus units.

Look forward to seeing you build! FYI: retrofitsource has ballasts in the closeout section right now for $20 a ballast and ~$10 for the ignitors if I recall correctly. Then you'll need the $10 anti-flicker capacitor canbus units off amazon/ebay. It may not be 100% plug and play but may require a little cut/solder here and there.

You might be better off with the morimoto stuff though because with the H13 your truck will want to turn off your lowbeam when the highs come on. With a HID projector the HID bulb stays on continuously and the highbeam triggers a flap in the projector to let more light out. On my truck that came with H13's I had to use a diode across the highbeam to the lowbeam trigger relay for this to work properly.

I look forward to seeing your build!!! Take lots of pictures and more importantly TAKE YOUR TIME!

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you're on the right track. If you want to save a bit of money you could avoid buying the "elite" HID kit that comes with harnesses etc. Just buy the ballasts and buy some cheap ebay anti-flicker canbus units.

Look forward to seeing you build! FYI: retrofitsource has ballasts in the closeout section right now for $20 a ballast and ~$10 for the ignitors if I recall correctly. Then you'll need the $10 anti-flicker capacitor canbus units off amazon/ebay. It may not be 100% plug and play but may require a little cut/solder here and there.

You might be better off with the morimoto stuff though because with the H13 your truck will want to turn off your lowbeam when the highs come on. With a HID projector the HID bulb stays on continuously and the highbeam triggers a flap in the projector to let more light out. On my truck that came with H13's I had to use a diode across the highbeam to the lowbeam trigger relay for this to work properly.

I look forward to seeing your build!!! Take lots of pictures and more importantly TAKE YOUR TIME!
Thanks for the info, I'd rather just buy the Morimoto kit and not cheap out on the eBay ones just because I'd be worried something would fry or heat up.

I'll take pictures along the way, I plan to actually buy 2 extra cheap projectors off ebay to use as "dummy projectors" and put them into the turn signal area of the headlights housing. I know this will require some custom cutting of the shroud to make it fit in there.

Also I plan to paint my stock housings and also paint the shrouds. I'm going with a red and black theme because my truck is red and all of my accents are black (lights, grille, emblems, wheels etc).

Good to know the Morimoto kit includes everything I need.

I'm going to order everything next week so I will post up a new thread once I start and I will document my build picture by picture for others to see/use if they want to retrofit their own kit.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'd rather just buy the Morimoto kit and not cheap out on the eBay ones just because I'd be worried something would fry or heat up.

I'll take pictures along the way, I plan to actually buy 2 extra cheap projectors off ebay to use as "dummy projectors" and put them into the turn signal area of the headlights housing. I know this will require some custom cutting of the shroud to make it fit in there.

Also I plan to paint my stock housings and also paint the shrouds. I'm going with a red and black theme because my truck is red and all of my accents are black (lights, grille, emblems, wheels etc).

Good to know the Morimoto kit includes everything I need.

I'm going to order everything next week so I will post up a new thread once I start and I will document my build picture by picture for others to see/use if they want to retrofit their own kit.
One more note: the cheap ebay housings will be easier to bake open than the OEM's.

OEM's are sealed with some permaseal crap.

Aftermarket ones are sealed with butyl..

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more note: the cheap ebay housings will be easier to bake open than the OEM's.

OEM's are sealed with some permaseal crap.

Aftermarket ones are sealed with butyl..
What about using one of the eBay headlight sets that already have a "projector" lens in them. Would I be able to just buy the Morimoto hid kit and use it with the built in projector lense on the eBay lights??

Here's a picture for reference:

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I will go with these lights

They have enough room to mount a morimoto mini h1 projector into each bulb area, so I can use 2 projectors in each light lense like I want to. I'm using the second projector as a "dummy projector" and I'm going to just put my turn signal bulb into it, maybe use a bright led bulb or something but I defin Italy want dual projectors. For the "dummy projectors" I'm just going to order a cheap $20- $30 set off of Ebay but for my actual High/Lows I'm using the Morimoto Mini H1's.

I was also thinking of maybe hooking up a Rigid Industries square led fog lense as the 2nd projector and wire it up to my turn signals... I dunno. So many options.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It's your retrofit. You can decide how crazy you want to go.

IMO I'd keep the turn signals.

If you go with one of those kits with projectors already in them the mini h1 won't be as easy to install because the projectors they came with are mounted with brackets most likely.

The h1 is designed to mount in place of a halogen bulbs socket. In some applications you need to dremel this out into a slightly bigger circle to get the threads to pass through.

I'd go with the OEM replicas. It will look much better :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I personally cant stand the look of the ebay headlights. Plus they are not true HID projectors. I would just stick with the normal headlights. Looks a lot cleaner and easier to work with. Don't cheep out on anything with the build. No ebay wires ballasts or lights. You get what you pay for. I have used nothing but Morimoto products in my cars and have never had any kind of problem with them. I have a retro done on my 2009 ram done 5 years ago and everything still works.

One other thing you can do when you have the headlights open is paint them any color you want. I like the clean look of color matching them to your truck.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally cant stand the look of the ebay headlights. Plus they are not true HID projectors. I would just stick with the normal headlights. Looks a lot cleaner and easier to work with. Don't cheep out on anything with the build. No ebay wires ballasts or lights. You get what you pay for. I have used nothing but Morimoto products in my cars and have never had any kind of problem with them. I have a retro done on my 2009 ram done 5 years ago and everything still works.

One other thing you can do when you have the headlights open is paint them any color you want. I like the clean look of color matching them to your truck.
That's my plan. Morimoto everything and paint matching the lenses red and black and also painting the shrouds to match.

Can't wait!!! I already ordered my Morimoto Elite HID kit. Next week I'm ordering the mini h1 projectors and then It's time to start baking my stock lenses!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts