DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a humming/whinning noise coming from my dodge. The noise doesnt start until the vehicle gets warm. Sounds excellant when its cold. It sounds to be coming from under the floorboard towards the back of the engine/bottom. This motor only has 29,000 on it and I cannot figure it out. The belt was taken off and the truck was run without the belt and the noise still persisted. The cats and y pipe were changed and that did not solve the issue. The noise is there whether or not the truck is in gear or in park. I dont belive the sound gets any louder when driven as it is hard to tell. Anybody have any ideas? I am so stuck with this problem. Thank You.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am assuming when it was checked it was checked with the belt off and the truck off. Can the truck run with the belt off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is an automatic trans. Mechanic told me today that the disconnected the trans and belives it to be a rear main seal as it appears dried out. It doesnt make sense to me though judging by the sound. I found a video on youtube of the exact same sound and location of my noise. I will post it and maybe I can get this figured out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3dvnqZWag

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can run your truck briefly without the belt on. You just won't be running your water pump so not too long. I would try that just to see for sure that it isn't a tensioner. Sound can transfer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop still hasnt figured it out. They now belive the noise is because of a bad rear main seal. Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would check the rear end bearings (ring/pinion/etc). Mine is being warrantied now for this. The humming was only at speed and tied to rpms. It would get louder on accel and go away without. Really noticeable from 40-80 when tapping on the gas. Also took a few minutes into driving for it to pop up. As pressure was applied to the differential, the bearings took the force and since they were shot, the noise was there.

G'luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
carrier bearing

i had a humming noise on my 2006 dodge ram mega cab it was the carrier bearing on the drive line when it was cold no noise warmed up it hummed and had a loud noise at times replaced it noise is gone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I have the exact same noise coming from my Hemi. I originally had my ride in to take care of the ticking (broken manifold gasket) which ended up being them replacing the entire cylinder head since they broke off two bolt (all under Chrysler warranty for powertrain). When I got it back it had (has had since Oct 2013) this whirling / whine issue. I just took it back after the 6 months "break-in" they suggested to have them re-evaluate and they said nothing is wrong. The noise is the exact spot you showed with the rear passengers side. Since that's the spot that had the new head I figured that might be something to do with it but the dealership says it's not. Very frustrated. Please tell me what you figured out.

Thank you!

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts