DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start. About 4 months ago my heater core went out in my 02 1500 4.7. I had that replaced for $600. As soon as the mechanic fixed it he took it for a test drive and while on the test drive the radiator blew. Out of good faith I bought a new one and they put it in for free. About 2 weeks ago my oil pressure gauge went to zero and came back up to normal. It did that for about 2 or 3 days. Then it never did it again until I was about 3 blocks from my house and it never came back up. So I had the same mechanic check it out. It had developed a serious knocking. He said there was no oil pressure. So I had it towed from there to my father in law who I figured he would cut me a deal and he confirmed there was no oil pressure. He was looking it over and said it might be the crank. So now he tells me that oil pressure is back and the engine noise is gone. Sounds like new. Wtf is the problem. Some of the research I have done people have the same issue because of sludge. Mine doesn't have any sludge. Most people have replaced the engine. I need some serious advise on where to go from here. I dont have 7 grand to drop in this truck

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it was knocking when the pressure bottomed out, then the sensor is good. Almost everything I have read about the oil pressure playing back and forth in these trucks, and other vehicles, is because of sludge partially blocking the oil pump pickup screen. What type and weight oil do you use, and at what interval?

The only other time i have heard this was when an oil filter failed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 w 30. I just had it changed a couple of months ago when the heater core went out. I usually change it myself but they told me they would change it for 20 bucks. There isa decent amount of sludge in the engine. Apparently the screen was clogged and nothin was getting threw. There seems to be a whole lot of issues with sludge with this engine. I've only had this truck for a year so im not sure how it was taken care of before i got it but it seems like it is a common issue with this engine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It may be beneficial to run a synthetic in this engine.

When I bought my 02 I began reading about it and had an immediate case of buyers remorse. This was due to all the problems I was reading about that all went back to how the truck was maintained, and I didnt know the history of the truck. The first order of business was to change all fluids out. I ran either Pennzoil Plat. or Mobil 1 in my truck for the past 60,000 miles and no issues with sludge luckily.

I also had to swap out my heater core, about 6 months ago. Then last week the a/c compressor and brake booster. Keeping the tally running, but not one of those repairs equaled a note yet, so I will just keep motorvating along lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once it all gets cleaned up and back together I will do that. I'm also thinking about every so often I'm going to run some sludge reducer threw it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
565 Posts
NP. My truck burns about half a quart over the course of the 5,000 mile change interval. Every couple changes, I wont top that 1/2 quart off until about 500 miles before changing and then top it off with 1/2 quart of marvel mystery oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I hate to recommend this, before the major expense of tearing the engine down, some dealerships offer a crankcase cleaning service which sends a heated cleaning solution throughout the engine and the sludge is collected by the cleaning machines filters. Then new oil and filter are installed.

I know most manufactures have issued bulletins not recommending this service, but I would give it a try before a major expendature of cash.

You will probably have to make some calls to find one who offers this service still.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why not do it yourself?

get some good oil, not too expensive, but a detergent oil, heat it on stove. Use a candy thermometer to keep the temp below 230. Have the truck drained and ready, with a clean cheapo filter. Add oil, and some seafoam.

Crank truck, run for five to ten minutes, let it cool, and drain.

Better than a chemical compound you have no idea of, that could eat the gaskets or deteriorate the metals in the engine.

But, hot oil in a cold block should flow good, and push the seafoam nice and easy through the engine to clean everything up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts