DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought my 2002 ram on monday and then it all hit the fan yesterday. My wife was driving it and it over heated on her and she finially got it pulled into a gas station and when i got there the collant was empty so i got it filled back up and started it up and i had no oil pressure but when i started driving again it came back up. so then i drive it to a pep boys and had them run a diagnostic check to see if any codes were showing and none but the guy heard some rattling from under the drivers side somewhere and said it could be the bearing going bad. the previous owner had a superchip modual and had it programmed to performance so i tuned it back to stock the day befor all this happened so when i got the truck home i changed it back to the performance setting and the pressure got better and no rattling when i started it. after a few hours i started it up with no problems and got all the way to work and when i pulled in it dropped again. and when i left work this morning it started fine and as soon as i pulled onto my road it dropped again. the oil level is good ive checked several times. where do i start to fix this? i was going to drain the oil and maybe flush it and use a thicker oil today and see if that helps. any other opinions

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
It is possible that the oil pump is bad. Hopefully not, but a possibility.
First thing that I would do is a full oil/filter change, regardless of when it was last done. Also use a good quality oil filter (Wix is popular) to ensure that is not the issue.

I wouldn't go a heavier oil yet, as that may mask the underlying problem, which could be as simple as a faulty oil pressure sender. :4-dontknow: If you have access to a test oil pressure gauge (preferably mechanical) that is a great way to test the actuall pressure and help diagnose the OEM sender.

Start with the basics, oil filter change, and proceed from there.

Keep us posted as to what you have done and the results. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts