DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, iam hoping someone can help me figure out whats wrong and what happened. can anyone think of how this could have happened. Or what the problem is. Iam by no means a mechanic but beleive it to be the hub or some kind of knuckle. Any info is appreciated. 2017 ram 1500 sport. Does anyone know how this happened or what would have caused it. Iam Trying to deal with the dealership and dont want get walked over. Iam hoping its covered under warranty. Only 20000 km. Only thing i have ever towed is a 1800lb boat. Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is your rear brake caliper mounting bracket. It broke, probably due to the fact that it is rusted and can get hot. Heat and rust weaken metal....

If it is under warranty, call the dealership and they should tow it to the shop and fix it for free.

If you are not under warranty, buy a replacement and put it in. It will basically be a standard brake job, with just a few extra minutes undoing the parking brake cable and unbolting the bracket. If you bring it to a mechanic, he houldn't charge any more than a standard rear brake job either, assuming the pads and everything else back there checks out and doesn't need replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. It is under warranty it’s only a year old with 20000 km. They were asking me a bunch of questions about overloading and towing and hitting bumps they called it a knuckle. Seemed to be fishing for a reason not to cover it. They said it most likely wouldnt be covered under warranty and the service manager would decide. Any advice for how to respond? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think replied in the wrong area below. Still getting used to the forum. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tell them that it is the rear brake caliper mounting bracket that broke. The bracket is not a normal wear item like brake pads or tires and it should be covered. Tell them that you do not tow, offroad or beat on your truck and there is no reason the warranty shouldn't cover it. If they don't want to cover it, try bringing it to another dealership. Any ram dealer can do warranty repairs, it doesn't have to be the dealership you bought it from.

If your truck is dirty, wash it well before you bring it to them, that way it doesn't look like you are hard on your truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That looks real rusty for a one year old truck. I have to check mine and get some corrosion free on it if mine looks like that. I take it you are in Canada somewhere. Have you had your truck to Krown or a corrosion free dealer for rust proofing. If not I would think you may want to look into it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
That has nothing to do with the corrosion- the corrosion is surface rust. should not weaken the structure of the bracket.
My guess is that there was a cast - issue with this part. Those things are pretty sturdy and to be honest- that's the first one ever I've seen breaking.
I'm pretty sure, the supplier has some busy weeks in meetings.
For me, 100% Warranty. If it would be mine, just a year old and 20k miles and they would deny warranty, I'd be at a lawyer right from the shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply i agree. Today They said they were going to cover the snapped bracket but if they notice any bolts or anything bent once they take it apart they wont cover it. Which seems ridiculous aswell. I said if anything bent it would be from driving it when it snapped.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You can't bend any of those bolts by just driving it, there is no load to speak of on those parts.
If the bolts are bent, it would have had to take a blow.

I would not leave the vehicle there, ask for an appointment when you can wait during wheel tear down - if you are thinking they will be sketchy at all :)

There are a total of 6 bolts that are on that piece.

2 that hold the caliper bracket on

4 from the axle housing that hold the broken bracket on.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you can see into the crack really good, you might be able to see if it is a casting flaw. If it is one, usually there will be shiny metal where the break just occurred and the rest of the break will be duller.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you will be OK here. They should fix it and not hassle you further. It just sounds like they are assuming you broke something while offroading or beating on the truck.

Either way, I would not use this dealership again. Once the truck is fixed and everything is back to normal; call them back, ask for a manager and explain to him all the hassles they gave you and why you will not be using them again. He will either just say "sorry to hear that" or if he is good, he will try to win you back with free oil changes, car washes or something similar. It will be up to you to take him up on his offer if he gives one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. They ended up covering everything under warranty. The fact they kept questioning everything and hassling me about if anything else is damaged youll have to pay or go through insurance because it will be expensive left a sour taste in my mouth. I wont be using this dealership again after this experience. Fortunately there are about 8 dealerships in my area. I wll try another one after this. Your replies helped me with dealing with them and the what if situations. Glad i found this forum and all of your knowledge. Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts