DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 SLT 4 door Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. Its 4X4 with a towing package and oversized HD axels specially ordered. The truck has 75,000 Kms on it.
I am new to technical Vehicle modifications. I am a motorcycle man at heart so I know this is going to be difficult.

So I have a few questions on what I planned to do and I'm asking advice on if I should do it and what I shouldn't do on the Ram or what I should try. I'm looking for the most money efficient way but not the cheap-O way.

- First- I had originally planned to do a cat-back Magna flow system on my Ram, because the exhaust had to be replaced already. I wanted to go with 3" pipe all the way back. But now I'm thinking about doing a custom dual exhaust with crossovers and Magna flow mufflers. I'm not sure what to do here.

- Second- I was thinking about an ECU, Bully Dog chip for the truck. I haven't done much research yet on chips but some say they are a waste of money while others say they are great. Obviously Ebay chips don't work but what about ,Bully Dog?

-Third- I had a real Fiberglass Rumble Bee scoop installed on the truck and sealed. I had planned on a Ram-Air kit but now I see that Cold air/ ram air is totally useless on newer EFI vehicles. And does nothing but cause a whistling noise and makes your computer try and compensate for change in the air being sucked in. Would this Ram-Air kit work togeter with a larger throttle body and the ECU installed ?

-Fourth- Nothing final but I should mention it incase my other mods mentioned are a waste. I was looking at purchasing a Cam for the 5.7 but not sure what to do there either. I was warned that the Hemi's do not like cams?

I understand that to have HP you must have modifications working together. I don't expect to slap a cheap chromed up CAI off of ebay, on and gain 50HP like many do. So from users experience and knowledge of the RAM's what should I do? Is it at all possible to get 400-450 HP out of my ram?

·
Registered
422 Posts
No chip! Get a tuner, long tube headers, custom tune. Maybe a higher stall, if you want to mess with that. To get custom tuned you will need a Diablo tuner. I also like the Volant CAI with the dry filter. Since you are thinking about a cam swap, def do the higher stall. Get rid of your crank driven fan and get an efan. THese of course are all just suggestions.......

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I bought a 2005 SLT 4 door Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. Its 4X4 with a towing package and oversized HD axels specially ordered. The truck has 75,000 Kms on it.
I am new to technical Vehicle modifications. I am a motorcycle man at heart so I know this is going to be difficult.

So I have a few questions on what I planned to do and I'm asking advice on if I should do it and what I shouldn't do on the Ram or what I should try. I'm looking for the most money efficient way but not the cheap-O way.

- First- I had originally planned to do a cat-back Magna flow system on my Ram, because the exhaust had to be replaced already. I wanted to go with 3" pipe all the way back. But now I'm thinking about doing a custom dual exhaust with crossovers and Magna flow mufflers. I'm not sure what to do here.
exhaust can be whatever you want it to be as long as it still flows. A true dual with crossover won't flow any better than a 3" single will, it's pure aesthetics and cost unless you're running more cubes/FI that needs additional flow volume.

- Second- I was thinking about an ECU, Bully Dog chip for the truck. I haven't done much research yet on chips but some say they are a waste of money while others say they are great. Obviously Ebay chips don't work but what about ,Bully Dog?
No to the Bully Dog but with the '05 PCM you can run a SuperChips and get the transmission tune package but you can't custom tune the engine side of it so either go with the Diablosport programmers OR stack the Superchip/Diablo like some have done to get the best of both worlds.

-Third- I had a real Fiberglass Rumble Bee scoop installed on the truck and sealed. I had planned on a Ram-Air kit but now I see that Cold air/ ram air is totally useless on newer EFI vehicles. And does nothing but cause a whistling noise and makes your computer try and compensate for change in the air being sucked in. Would this Ram-Air kit work togeter with a larger throttle body and the ECU installed ?
These engines respond well to a ram air because of the colder inlet temps if you're staying naturally aspirated with a very minor increase in your Pratio. The whistling that people talk about is from a throttle body spacer and yes, they are useless on EFI engines.

-Fourth- Nothing final but I should mention it incase my other mods mentioned are a waste. I was looking at purchasing a Cam for the 5.7 but not sure what to do there either. I was warned that the Hemi's do not like cams?

I understand that to have HP you must have modifications working together. I don't expect to slap a cheap chromed up CAI off of ebay, on and gain 50HP like many do. So from users experience and knowledge of the RAM's what should I do? Is it at all possible to get 400-450 HP out of my ram?
I don't know who told you the hemi doesn't like cams, well, maybe the '03 which is tempermental about them but you have an '05 which is pretty much the easiest year of the hemi to modify. A head/cam combo is always a good investment with the hemi. Talk with Jay Greene, Dave with Modern Muscle, or Stu with Inertia for a cam option for the pre-eagle engine. I ran a custom Inertia cam in my '07 and a custom Modern Muscle cam in my '09.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys, I have so many stupid questions but I love learning about my new truck and the mods I can do. My first mod is going to be the exhaust and I'm wondering what you guys have done?
-Should I go with a single 3' or 2.5' stainless Cat-back system?
-What about maintaining my back pressure?

I think I'm set on going with the Magnaflow muffler and if I do, I could just buy the Magnaflow cat back kit that's all stainless.
I have read the Y-pipe is very restrictive and should be replaced Also should I switch out my Cats for performance cats?
And is there a specific Ram-Air kit you recommend? I only see the SRT10 kit?

You guys are really helpful! Keep them coming please!

Also, "chefred112" Your truck sounds absolutely NASTY! ,I love it! It makes it sound so angry, I WILL be getting a cam, haha!

·
Registered
302 Posts
A tuner is a must, make certain you ride in someones truck that has Magnadrones on it before you buy them, I've had a couple of sets of them over the years and they can be horrid at certain RPM's. Check what gear ratios you have a gear change can make a large difference in get up and go.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I've had to go with a big 5 x 11 x 22" magnaflow to eliminate the drone...any body thinner than the 11" body will drone as my 1st 4 x 9 x 18" magnaflow did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had to go with a big 5 x 11 x 22" magnaflow to eliminate the drone...any body thinner than the 11" body will drone as my 1st 4 x 9 x 18" magnaflow did.
Is your 5x11x22 still noticeably louder than stock? I am a little concerned with drone and actual noise outside the truck. I don't want an obnoxious truck everyone hates to hear coming haha.

Also are headers really worth it? I was looking at the BBK short headers and heat shield wrap to minimize under the bonnet heat. Seems any way possible to minimize heat is best for the intake and thus more power. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm no expert, but, I think that headers run cooler than the stock log manifolds. You also might want to think about long tubes....

·
Registered
422 Posts
All around better performing

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
at idle and normal driving, the sound is just a little more than stock..I love it! Whenever I pull up next to any truck with an aftermarket muffler(s), I feel that 10 outta 10, I always hear the other trucks exhaust more than mine...unlike some here who say their neighbors hate them, every single one of mine love me...and given the chance they will always signal me to open the cutouts which I'm more than happy to oblige...

I took these vids with a nice 12 mega pixel camera so it is sound sensitive..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STF-rnX5UXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbLGqgTD_0

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys think it is at all possible to get 400-450 HP out of my engine? What is a safe HP number before my transmission can't handle the power?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Getteh rAOMFURUMz WINDOW STICKER. WILL ADD AT LEST 50 EXTRA hp.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Do you guys think it is at all possible to get 400-450 HP out of my engine? What is a safe HP number before my transmission can't handle the power?
driving habits will determine your tranny life :) , I'm runnin a 392 in my 05 and tranny is holding up well.. when I didn't know any better in the early years and using 2nd prime alot (downshifting hard at wot) my trannys lived a short life..

and yes, with the right cam and bolt-ons and custom tune..you can get 400+ out of the 5.7..and/or add juice to quickly get there as well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
driving habits will determine your tranny life :) , I'm runnin a 392 in my 05 and tranny is holding up well.. when I didn't know any better in the early years and using 2nd prime alot (downshifting hard at wot) my trannys lived a short life..

and yes, with the right cam and bolt-ons and custom tune..you can get 400+ out of the 5.7..and/or add juice to quickly get there as well...
Thanks! I really appreciate your advice a lot! What is your 392 putting out? I haven't actually driven my truck that much yet, due to the paint proccess, but I recall serious fish tailing and a couple of burnouts trying to keep it on the road, haha. And that's only 345 at the crank! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I haven't dynoed since installing the 392 (still fine tuning the tune) but if I had to guess, it's high 400's (maybe low 500's), and that's not tapping the bottle yet. I'm running the 392 with a custom grind high lift cam...

·
Registered
Ram 1500 5.7L, 4x4 CC, Sh.B, 3.55G, Laramie(level5) 105K, K&N Intake, 90mm TB, not enough character
18 Posts
I have a 12 Laramie/Sport With Shorty BBK headers, true dual 2.5 exhaust no cats 90 mm throttlebody and K&N CIA. Also running a custom Hemifever 93 octane tune.

Haven’t put it on the computer yet, butt dyno is registering low end 400s. in automatic mode with the Shift points maximized I’m getting a 0 to 60 Right under five. I’m happy as hell about that. TBH the Diablo tuner wasn’t worth $700 . I’ve been better off doing some EFI fuel injection for that kind of cake. Just my 2pennies

I did all the work on my truck and thousands of dollars worth of other mods so if you have any questions just let me know

1 - 18 of 18 Posts