DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bring my 2004 Ram 1500 for oil change and the mechanic shows me the bottom of oil fill cap with alot of water under it. said he only seen that one other time. wonderin if anyone has or had this issue and how to resolve it. my engine lght is also on and seems to go off at times. any help be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have never heard much about this issue on the hemi but it is fairly common on the 4.7L engines. The typical cause is short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature and does not burn off the condensation that develops in the crankcase. Couple of things you can do.....make sure the PCV valve is working properly. If it has been a while since it has been replaced or you don't know if it ever has, do it. It may be a dealer-only part but it's inexpensive....probably about $20. Also, make sure you religiously change the engine oil when it is due to be changed. The condensation itself isn't really a problem but engine oil that has passed its useful service life will combine with this condensation and form sludge....you do not want that. Lastly, you may want to consider synthetic oil. It will not break down and form sludge like conventional oil and can actually help clean out buildup left behind by conventional oil. I switched to it at about 60K miles on my 2006 4.7L and never looked back. I will likely switch to it when the 2004 hemi that I just bought is due for the next oil change as well. I buy Mobil1 in a 5-quart jug + 1 quart at Walmart and use a good quality filter...there are several good ones but I use Mobil1 filters as well.

As for the check engine light...dunno about that. Even if it goes off I believe the code is still stored in the computer. If you haven't already you should have someone with an OBD code scanner check it out and see if you have any codes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the same question when I did my first oil change. I had condensation under the cap and the oil seemed thin to me. I was told that this was normal (condensation) on the hemi. I drive 6 miles each way to work so short trips. I checked my oil after a road trip the other day and I didnt see the same condensation which leads me to believe that it's related to short trips.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah short trips will do it. Double check that your coolant level is at the right level to eliminate the possibility of a bad head gasket and switch to full synthetic. And it takes 7 qts, not 6.
Thanks for the correction. I am used to buying oil for my old 4.7L...haven't bought any for the hemi yet. I'm glad you brought that to my attention because I would have figured it out when it was changed but I would have been a quart short, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts